SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bethany873

helping old cat deal with new cat--what to do??

Bethany873
17 years ago

I can't seem to find the advice I'm looking for. We just adopted a young adult female cat (Molly) from the local shelter.....we already have a 3 year old female at home (Jojo), both are fixed. 5 months ago we lost our first cat Baby (she was FIV+, went into liver and kidney failure...it was awful....anyway) and it was the first time Jojo had ever been alone, so we wanted to get her a buddy. Even though Baby didn't particularly like her, Jojo was always submissive and trying to play with/give a bath to Baby, followed her around, etc. So we thought she'd like a new friend. Well, the new cat has adjusted beautifully, it's like she's always been here, not jumpy or grouchy or anything. Jojo on the other hand is a nervous wreck. I haven't seen the new cat go after her or even hiss, but poor Jojo runs and hides when Molly so much as looks at her. Jo was always very playful and curious prior to this and now she's afraid to leave our bedroom. All the advice I've been finding is how to help the NEW cat adjust, when what I need is advice on the OLD cat! Both cats are about the same size; we've been trying to give special attention to Jojo, praise/treats/letting her sleep under the covers with us, you name it, but she seems to be getting worse, not better. She can be nervous with new people, and generally responded with aggression when she's scared (like at the vet's office). The way she's acting now isn't anything like herself :( Does anyone have any suggestions?? I feel horrible that she's so upset and I don't know how to help her! Thank you for any, any, any advice......

Comments (9)