SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chris_r11

Considering swapping equipment for Intelliflo?

chris_r11
17 years ago

Hi all,

Well, the monthly PG&E bill is a bit higher than I was told to expect and I am just toying with the idea on swapping out the pumps for the intelliflo pumps.

Can this work with another mfg controls or only the Pentair ones? Right now I have 3 StaRite pumps on a AqualinkRS6 controller. The pool is probably about 18,000 gallons.

I have 2 1.5 HP pumps for the filter and the paramount in-floor cleaner and a 2 HP pump for the spa jets. I have solar and a spill over spa to the pool.

Would I be best off getting the 4x160 model or the higher end one and which intellitouch (if I have to) would be the best one? Right now I have one extra aux for a water feature we had plumbed but not built because we did not know what we wanted to do.

I have heard that the higher end intelliflo has issues with solar panels when they drain? is that true - I remember seeing a post on this forum where Pentair just gave them a 4x160 to replace the other one or am I dreaming?

How many pumps would I need? Could I just leave the 2 hp as a jet pump for the spa and get one to replace the 2 I have for in-floor and filter? How would it balance the water between the 2?

One feature we don't have now is just a spa spillover and I assume we could do that with the intelliflo by putting it in a low flow mode? It would be nice to have that spillover working without the filter pump going full bore.

I suppose to offset the cost, I could sell the old equipment on ebay as it is only 5 months old. The energy cost calculator on Pentair's site seems to show I would save about 1200 a year on the intelliflo pump? Is that right as that could add up quickly and pay for the swap out.

Well, thanks for any suggestions.

Chris

Comments (28)