SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susie53_gw

China dishes

susie53_gw
10 years ago

Do you have a set of China? I was fortunate to get a set before I was married. My brother-in-law was stationed in Korea. He sent a book back home to us with all the patterns listed. My mom, sister and I each ordered a set. This was in 1967. The complete set of Nortakie china was $55.00. My mom still had the shipping papers and the shipping was $2.95. The set consistes of 12 place settings ( dinner plate, salad plate, berry bowl, soup bowl, cup and saucer) along with a large meat platter, small meat platter, round serving dish, oval serving dish, gravy boat, sugar and creamer and salt and pepper shakers. Mine has a pink rose in the center with a silver leaf and silver edging. My moms has a blue flower in the center. When we sold my mom''s house I bought her set. My one niece kind of wanted it but I knew she would sell it. I didn't want that to happen. My two daughter's each have them. At Thanksgiving we went to our daughter's and she had used both sets. It was so wonderful seeing them being used.

Comments (47)

• teddybear_2009
    10 years ago

Yes I have Old English Roses by Royal Albert that I purchased over a period of time, just love it and use it a few times a year. Looks lovely still.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    10 years ago

I have always wanted a set of China but every time I thought I had a pattern I would love, I'd see a different one that I loved. LOL I was afraid to make a commitment. :) So I have dishes that I've gotten at yard sales. They aren't a full set, but I didn't pay much and I like them and I won't feel bad if I find something I like better.

I love that you both still use or get to see those dishes after years of service.

• Related Discussions

Anyway to bring antique china back to white

Q

Comments (2)
    Is the part that is stained at the bottom unglazed? If so a good degreaser will work with a scrubbing from a soft bristle brush. I recommend Fireball degreaser but it is hard to find in stores, a few hardware stores sell it in my area. Others swear by Greased Lightening but I haven't tried that one. Some people stack their dirty dishes before washing and that sort of staining can happen. Some stains like from coffee will come out by soaking china in a bleach/water solution. If it is the glaze that looks stained you may have small cracks (crackles) in the glaze the same method will work. If the glaze itself that has changed colors, I do not know. You may get advice from a antique china collectors site. Hopefully someone here knows.
    ...See More

Shelving to Display China/Dishes

Q

Comments (2)
    I think it would look great. Here's a low cost, modern version from Young House Love using shelves from Ikea. Here is a link that might be useful: Young House Love
    ...See More

New Exchange Info, Response Needed!

Q

Comments (25)
    bump for the newbies! You can still join in on this one! Just respond to this thread, ok? For the oldies and those already involved...here's the list I have currently based upon posts and/or emails I have received: myself rchovey curbdiver mermaid4life shrty411 louisian_greetings becky_ia daisyme crafty_lady silvamae texasfern slowmedown I have emailed the following people since I haven't heard from them by today: gin_gin flagtruck calamity_j nanatricia sereneseen I know nicethyme is out of town so am keeping her on the list. Any other takers?? It's only two weeks to the final check-in, and going fast!
    ...See More

Looking for dinnerware that doesn't get grey cutlery marks

Q

Comments (63)
    I’ve used Gorham Melonbud 18/10 flatware for the last 26 years. It has left TONS of gray marks on our 1) expensive Mikasa stoneware, 2) Target Threshold porcelain, and now 3) Mikasa bone china. The only surface this 18/10 flatware hasn’t destroyed is a newer set of 4 Target Threshold porcelain salad plates that I bought to replace some of the original set that broke. Got others in that style thinking I’d found the perfect match … nope, only those 4 can defend against the Melonbud. I’m giving up. It must be the flatware but that goes against everything out there that says 18/10 is the “hardest” and shouldn’t leave marks. Might switch to plastic, lol. ;0)
    ...See More
  • fran1523
    10 years ago

Since I've spent my first winter in Florida this year, I've been prowling the thrift shops which are very abundant here. They all have lots of china for sale, sometimes complete sets for very reasonable prices, in fact less than what you paid in 1967. Unfortunately a lot of it is not microwave safe but it's very pretty anyway if you have room to store it.

• Zipper_TX
    10 years ago

Yes I do, my set came from downtown out the east gate of Kadena AFB, Okinawa. Complete service for 8 including platter, large bowl, creamer, & sugar bowl. I can't remember but I think I gave about $45.00 for the set...before the exchange rate for Yen went up.

I use it when I want to fancy up a dinner :) Most of the time my fine china is found on the paper isle at walmart lol.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I registered for Noritake Adagio in 1981 when we got married...at the time I think it was around $30 a place setting. I think I have 12 place settings. I havent used it in ages. The colors would be nice for a Thanksgiving table (blues/rusts) but not for Chrismas or Easter. My brother always hosts Thanksgiving and we do Easter. I have plain white plates, etc. that I use all the time...they work with anything.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    10 years ago

When we married, my parents were dead and siblings scattered, and his parents had not even bothered to raise him. So we eloped, which also meant we didn't register for your china or receive but a few gifts. So I had no china. I had loved the Haviland Limoges that my grandmother had inherited, but all went to cousins. Then one night 7 years after we had married, I saw an auction on the Chicago PBS station we watched, and there was a Haviland Limoges set of china. We could not see the pattern very well as they did not do any close ups, but my DH bid on it for me and got it for $200. I love that set. It is white with pink and lime flowers and tendrils trimmed in gold here and there such as the cup handles. It was a setting for 12 from the late 1800s, and included two oyster platters, a vegetable bowl, 12 salt dishes, saucers, dinner plates, soup bowls, and only 5 cups. I use it for all the holiday and birthday dinners and love it.

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

What wonderful stories you have relating to your china. I love tableware so I have lots of china that I've collected. Generally, I only buy the dinner plates and bread/butter plates from a pattern as that's what I use to set the table most often.

Joaniepoanie, I think you could use Adagio for a Christmas table if you focus on your colors rather than the more traditional red and green. I would add silver colored chargers and put together a festive centerpiece using navy, rust, silver and white.

• glenda_al
    10 years ago

Back 50 plus years ago, I had three sets of china, 12 place settings each, plus glassware.

Everyday
    Royal Doulton
    Lenox

Everyday got used lots and lots and I've replaced it now.

Still have the Royal Doulton and use it rarely with my sterling silver.

Luckily friend bought my Lenox for her daughter and it is used and loved.

I still have the crystal that went with the Lenox. Tried to sell it, but no buyers. I could list it on ebay.

• ghoghunter
    10 years ago

Susie53..my husband was in the service during the Vietnam conflict and my Mom and I ordered from probably the same catalog! She got a complete set of 12 Noritake but I forget the pattern name. It had a scattering of dainty blue flowers on it. I got a 12 piece set of Mikasa bone china which is cream colored with a gold rim called Wheaton. I still use mine and my daughter has my mother's set! I love beautiful china and wish I had room for more..so many beautiful patterns but not enough space! The only negative is that it is not microwave safe and mine with the gold rims shouldn't be washed in the dishwasher. I do occasionally put it in though but if I do it too often the gold rim will disappear!!
    Joann

• Georgysmom
    10 years ago

I received 8 place settings of Spode Blue Tower for wedding presents, and bought 8 more dinner plates over the years. Also have MIL's Spode Aster which I use most of the time. Also bought 10 place settings of Wedgewood Runnymede which I use on occasionâ¦depending on table setting and what I'm serving.

Murrysmom, I have a friend who couldn't make up her mind so she bought one place setting of 12 different patterns that she loved and that's her set of china. I thought it a fun idea.

• Pieonear
    10 years ago

I had two complete sets of Noritake China and didn't use it much anymore. We used to entertain, but since my husband retired, not so much. We decided to give it to two of our kids. Now they each have two sets.

• socks
    10 years ago

I have never had a China set, but that's ok. But I do have a set of the Spode Christmas Tree dishes which I enjoy using at Christmas.

I like your story, Susie.

• heather_on
    10 years ago

I just sold my good set since we never use it. We are downsizing. We still have a set of Silver Luster that was my DH's mothers.

• susie53_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just couldn't bare to ever sell the china especially since my sister ( whose hubby got it for us) and Mom are gone. My daughter's both have daughters to pass it down to. I've loved seeing them use it. My daughter has a beautiful glass cake plate that belonged to my Mother-in-Law. She uses it for every family birthday cake. Such wonderful memories for all of us.

• pam_25f
    10 years ago

I have a lovely set of Lenox china but only for 8 or 10, so I have rarely used it. I usually have more people than that. I did use it for my birthday in March when there were seven of us, and I know my sister appreciated it.

• oldfixer
    10 years ago

I'm contemplating how to sell my mom's china set, service for 12. Probaly try consignment at an antique shop?

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    10 years ago

Georgysmom, that is a wonderful idea!! It would be great fun, though it would still be hard to decide which ones. There are so many neat patterns out there!!!

• wanda_va
    10 years ago

I have Mikasa Solitude, which is white, with a platinum rim. I have service for 12, with all the serving pieces. I haven't used it in years....

• Marigene
    10 years ago

I have several sets of china...my favorites are Noritake Luray, Staffordshire Liberty Blue and Clarice Cliff Tonquin in purple.

• nanny98
    10 years ago

I guess I am in 'good company' as I have 3 or 4 sets.. Longaberger for everyday, Antique Woods Ware (pink) plus a Masons Tea set (pink like the Woos) and Noritaki from the "nam" era. I tried a month or so ago to sell 47 pieces(which includes a luncheon set) of Bluemoon Caprice by the Cambridge Glass Co.... no takers or even lookieloos. Kinda sad. Hope the Grands hurry up and grow an appreciation for it.

• mboston_gw
    10 years ago

We bought our Noritake at the BX while my husband was in the AF, probably about 1975. It is called Thule and is white with a silver rim and tiny white flowers. I am missing a cup and saucer - guess one set got broke, probably in the military moves and I never got the salt and pepper shakers. I can find the cup and saucer online but have never found the salt and pepper set together.

Noritake must have been what the service exchanges carried.

I also have a Lenox set of Butterfly Garden that I use on the weekends. I got it about 8 years ago and really enjoy it. I use the Noritake on special holidays or at bridge if we have something special.

• monica_pa Grieves
    10 years ago

I bought a full service for 12 Wedgewood bone China, including all the accessories...about 25-30 years ago.

Mirabelle pattern, made in England.
    I use them only on Thanksgiving, Christmas and other special occasions.

• bengardening
    10 years ago

yes I have a set of mismatched Chinet. I bought them at rummage sales and thrift stores. I never wanted a set of china when I got married 40 years ago. We never entertain anyway.

• PattiG(rose)
    10 years ago

There is a place online called Replacements Ltd, I have gone there to find replacement china for my Grandmother's set. They did not have her pattern in stock, but they have a very extensive collection of replacement pieces.

• blfenton
    10 years ago

I have a set for 12 of china that I got 30 years ago when we got married. I have since given away the fruit compote dishes but still have everything else. It is Royal Doulton The Romance Collection and the pattern is Michelle. It's sitting on the dining room table because I used it this weekend. I use it a lot and still love it as much as the day I (we) chose it.

• nicole__
    10 years ago

We use holidays as a means to get out of town. So I'd never use it. I splurged on everyday plates. Dansk Blue Mesa. Place settings for 16. I've got all the completer pieces, casserole, candle sticks, mugs, mixing bowls. It's low key, dusky blue. Seemed timeless.

• lydia1959
    10 years ago

I never had a set, really never wanted any.. although I love old china especially when the patterns are all mixed (shabby chic style). I wouldn't use it often (maybe once every few years) plus storage space would be a problem. My mom has a couple sets from her mom , plus her own set... so one day most of those will get handed down to me.

• linda_in_iowa
    10 years ago

I have service for 8 plus some serving pieces of Portmerion The Botanic Garden which is made in Britain. It is beautiful and it isn't china so it is durable for everyday use. It is dishwasher, microwave and freezer safe. I started collecting it in the mid 1990s and had a complete set by 1999.

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

My dh was also in the marines during viet nam and we also have a 12 place setting,with all the xtras except the salt& pepper shakers.Mine is very plain which is what I prefer,white with a silver edge and what looks to me like a silver starburst.They barely get used anymore,except for the platters,gravy boats and those types of things.

I've been thinking of putting it and a lot of other stuff from my hutch on Craigs list.My dd isn't interested in any of it,and my boys could care less.
    Kathi

• FlamingO in AR
    10 years ago

I have a service for 10 of china that my mother picked out about 60 years ago. Mikasa silver wheat. It has all the pieces, I don't think anything is missing. Rarely use it tho. I think her MIL pressured her into getting this pattern because it doesn't suit my mother at all, nor me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chinaâ¦

This post was edited by FlamingO_in_AR on Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 10:44

• hounds_x_two
    10 years ago

I have my mother's set of Royal Doulton, The Tewkesbury
    My Lenox, Castle Garden
    Vintage Haviland Limoges dinner plates
    Mis-matched Limoges luncheon plates, fruit bowls, cups & saucers (all with small pink flowers)
    And because I thought it needed to be rescued, a set of Royal Doulton (pattern H3353), found at an estate sale for a steal. Future daughter-in-law loves that one, so that is good.

I do use them fairly often. Even if it is "just me" eating. Can't see having them if they remain put away. Same goes for the sterling. Most of my entertaining is on the casual side, but I still enjoy using the nice pieces I have inherited/acquired.

This post was edited by hounds_x_two on Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 19:00

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

Hounds x two, I just bought 8 dinner plates and 8 bread/butter plates in Lenox Castle Garden because I fell in love with the colors. I have some deep pink stemware that looks so good with it that I just had to have a few pieces.

• bengardening
    10 years ago

mine are corelle not chinet

• sylviatexas1
    10 years ago

When my Uncle John was stationed in Japan after WWII, he sent tea / snack sets (covered coffee pot, covered tea pot, creamer, sugar, 6 snack plates with indentations for the cup & 6 delicate tea cups) to his mother, his sisters, & my mother, who was the wife of his only married brother.

The china was so fine & thin that you could see the shadow of your hand if you held it to the light, & there was an embossed face of a geisha in the bottoms of the teacups.

Like murraysmom, I like so many different patterns that I have a few pieces of a lot of different ones!

Royal Doulton Belmont Cobalt (last manufactured in 1893!)
    Royal Doulton Melrose
    Royal Doulton Thistledown
    Johnson Brothers...one of the many patterns whose name has been lost. It likely has a number, but I don't know what it is. The pattern is a tiny floral along a green band at the edge, & it seems like there's a gold band also.

(Royal Doulton has a pattern called Arcadia that I like, but I've run out of shelf space!)

My Great-Aunt Margaret had a whole set of Lenox (I think) Eternity or Eternal, a rich, luscious cream-color china with a wide gold band.
    I loved that china, but my aunt grabbed it up!

• hounds_x_two
    10 years ago

Fun2BHere, I hope you enjoy your Castle Garden!
    Have had mine almost 40 years, and I still love it.
    I'm sure it will be pretty with your stemware.

• carol_in_california
    10 years ago

We inherited Roy's grandmother's Limoge china. I know they are very old because Roy is 82.
    I love them so much.....and use them occasionally.
    Food seems to taste better on them.

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

Thank you, Hounds x two. I'm hoping my mother will be here for Mother's Day. I would love to have a special dinner for her served on Castle Garden.

Carol in California, that's a gorgeous set. The shape is so graceful and the pattern is beautifully delicate.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    10 years ago

Carol, I envy you. That is the kind of Haviland Limoges that my grandmother had. However, your set is so much more complete.

The set my husband bought me is quite similar, but no where near as complete as yours. And I love mine too.

I loved the pitchers and vases, and my grandmother had a couple of little cream pitchers. Such beautiful shapes.

Thanks for sharing the picture.

• monica_pa Grieves
    10 years ago

Sylviatexas,

I was taught that the test for real fine bone china is the fact that you can hold it up and see the shadow of your hand. My Wedgewood passes that test.

I also have a set of that beige Lenox, from my grandmother. I think it was a wedding gift, back in 1921. It's not bone china but I treasure ir as a memory of Sunday and holiday dinners at their house.

Lenox is a NJ company. Their factory was(is?) in Trenton. I remember touring it with my Girl Scout troupe.

• monica_pa Grieves
    10 years ago

Sylviatexas,

I was taught that the test for real fine bone china is the fact that you can hold it up and see the shadow of your hand. My Wedgewood passes that test.

I also have a set of that beige Lenox, from my grandmother. I think it was a wedding gift, back in 1921. It's not bone china but I treasure ir as a memory of Sunday and holiday dinners at their house.

Lenox is a NJ company. Their factory was(is?) in Trenton. I remember touring it with my Girl Scout troupe.

• jannie
    10 years ago

My mother had a set for 12 of Noritake Azalea. Sadly, it got sold to strangers after her death. I have a set of Pfaltzgraff ironstone in the Village pattern that was a wedding gift in 1979. . They are still in business, so I can buy replacements as needed.

• dees_1
    10 years ago

I was in the service and spent time in Japan. There was a lot of Noritake china available to service people. I didn't buy any, as I'm rather practical and thought it would not get used as often as it should.

Moving forward in my life, I bought a complete service of Noritake Rosay for 12 from someone who was retiring and downsizing. It's a pattern from the early 60s and is very simple. It's around enough that I can buy replacements as pieces break. A few pieces were purchased chipped but I've not gotten around to replacing them. I should use it more.

• pattico_gw
    10 years ago

I have a set of Noritake China...that was given to us after Denny's mother passed away.

Denny went to the Noritake factory in Japan while in the navy. He bought two sets so she would have plenty of matching dishes. I think he said he paid 20.00 a set. That was in the early 60's. She only used them once...because of a long long term illness.

Denny carried them home on his lap when he came home on leave and gave them to her.

I'm looking for a "just the right size" hutch to keep them in.

• dees_1
    10 years ago

Nanny98, I just realized you said you have a set of Cambridge Caprice, tried to sell it and got no lookers. I have been collecting various glassware for 40+ years and would LOVE that set. We live across the country from each other or I'd be talking to you about it. I have glassware from the 1880s through the 20th century.

• Elmer J Fudd
    10 years ago

Many manufacturers of dinnerware with non-English sounding names - like Pfaltzgraff, Mikasa, Dansk, etc., misleadingly put on a facade of being elegant foreign brands but in fact are US companies and always have been. For many years, companies like these and other well known names as Lenox manufactured their products in the US and in higher-quality foreign locations.

Today, I believe all the US factories for these up-market lines have long since closed. Most production is sourced from lower cost and lower quality locations like China.

China has had a few too many incidents of contaminated or adulterated products to suit my taste. It's a funny irony because of the name, I prefer not to buy china from China.

For those of you getting replacement pieces for old sets, what you buy today may be from a different factory even if the same pattern. Friends have told me of having some success in finding "old" stuff at replacements.com.

• nanny98
    10 years ago

You are so correct, Snidely. It was interesting at my garage sale this past weekend.... there ARE folks checking and buying Made in USA items. I had a plastic-like insulated beer mug from the 70's.... put "Made in USA" on it and away it ant for a nice price. Not sure if that's good or not, it just confirms that me and my 'stuff' is old.

Dees.... I am so happy to hear that you love "glass". I have been collecting "caprice" since I married in 1954. And I do have 47 pieces of it,, including a luncheon set for 8. I have packed it away again, but it was nice to have it out for a few months.... just to see and feel and love it. I will make a note that you too, are a collector. You know there is a 'club' in Cambridge Ohio as well as a museum.

• dees_1
    10 years ago

Yes Nanny, I'm aware of the Cambridge club and museum. A lot of the old glassware companies have them I think Tiffin is one of the other ones in OH.

I started collecting as a young girl and still cruise the markets. My son collects two patterns but hasn't purchased anything new for his collection in a really long time. I used to go to many glass shows each year and stopped. It's an expensive hobby but the glassware is oh so pretty. I recently saw some Heisey Sahara in person and thought I was gonna die! ;)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County