SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
huskyridor

Note to all readers

huskyridor
15 years ago

After posting a few minutes ago about a poor pool build experience I thought I'd take a moment to enlighten potential pool buyers.

Right now my industry (pool construction) is in a tailspin. This has made it difficult on all companies in the game. Our margins have degraded bigtime.

Now, more than ever, is the time to really place your potential builder under the magnifying glass before signing a binding contract.

In the past few months I've finished a half dozen pools and have at least 7 more quotations behind bankrupt pool builders who low balled the projects and left the buyers high and dry.

My most recent quote was for a buyer who has paid 90% for 50 percent of the work. He's paid 60k on a 65800 contract and has no equipment, decks, plaster, and the plumber and electricians labor charges. The builder set decking forms, but didn't pour concrete to collect his deck draw.

He told the buyer that he's out of funds and can't complete the job until he gets some new work. Buyers don't want to sign with him because they know he has several uncompleted pools. They started this pool in August of '08. My heart truly breaks for the pool buyer but I can't let it affect my quotation for the finish up. In an effort to purchase a more affordable pool he opted not to sign with the better companies in my area who were 5 to 10k more for the new pool. My bid was over 33k to finish and this was based on a 3% lower markup on my services than I currently strive to achieve. The pool that should have been in the low 70's will now be 90+.

He's not alone, almost all of my finish ups have been exactly like this one.

Take your time, check out your potential builder, ask to see and meet some current and recently finished pool buyers, and if he'll give it up ask for numbers of some of his industry references.

I feel partially responsible for some of these buyers. Had I given them the numbers to my wholesalers, guniter, PebbleTec'r etc.. to call and ask about the standing of my company -VS- another company, the ones I quoted might not have signed for the lesser sales price if they thought they were at risk of signing with a near bankrupt company.

These men in the industry will get the work regardless of who they sign with and will gladly tell you if they have favoritism of one over the other. The favoritism is based on amount of work and prompt payments on invoices.

When one man has a 100k credit line and another is on C.O.D. it's because they both earned it, one by paying the invoices and the other by dodging the invoices.

Right now, in my area, the weak builders are quoting cost plus 10. I'm currently quoting cost plus 20 which is 10% less than I've quoted all my life. I won't go to a meet comp of cost plus 10 but have recently signed a few at cost plus 17 or 18. These are poor margins for any company large or small, but they are margins that you can stay afloat on.

Bear in mind that all pool builders are in the same game as any business owner, that is the cost plus markup equals sales price game.

I'm hoping that the potential buyers will still move forward and buy the pools they want. I have many contracts from several months ago that I was asked to wait on until they saw what the economy was going to do. Although they were past the 3 day rescission period and could have been held to the deal, we had no commencement on the job except for getting the building permit. I asked to be reimbursed for the permit and would wait with them.

See ya,

Kelly

Comments (18)