SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamannor

need ideas- Dog won't use restroom on the dirt at new home.

jamannor
10 years ago

My wife and I just built a house in Michigan and moved in last week. We have a golden doodle dog that is refusing to go to the bathroom on the dirt plot. Since it's pretty much the middle of November in Michigan and it's pretty cold already I don't think planting grass will work until the Spring.

Currently we've been taking the dog on walks and letting him use the restroom on the way (always picking up after ourselves) but today I had a neighbor very upset at me. I don't really understand the big deal since I'm picking up after him but she said her daughter has immune disorders and she compared it to a human pooping in the middle of my yard. She tried to be a nice as possible about the whole thing but I honestly don't know what to do.

I want to be a good neighbor but my dog also needs to use the restroom. Does home depot or Lowes sell sod this late in the season? Will dogs go to the restroom on artificial grass? Will dogs go to the restroom on woodchips or hay? We are planning on getting sod in the spring and this won't be an issue. I just need a temporary fix.

Comments (9)