SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amck2

Exhaust Vents - I Can't Be The Only One....

amck2
10 years ago

who is confused. I'm changing out an OTR MW for a venting hood and I have been trying to educate myself on the proper size, best reviewed brands, etc.

My first question is about insert hoods, which I understand is the type I'd buy if I wanted the metal to be concealed by a wood covering - like a simple rectangular mantel. Should I look for manufacturers that specialize in these, or are they offered by most of the brands -Kobe, Zephyr, Braun - that I often see recommended here?

My second question is about make up air (MUA) which I didn't know I'd have to consider. I live in New England and have a gas fireplace in my LR, which is open to the kitchen area. Apparently, this is a concern.

I tried reading posts on the subject on the Appliance forum and I still don't understand how much of an impact it should have in my remodel. My 30" induction range will be on an outside wall where it will vent. When the contractor installs the fan/hood/exhaust system (I'm still not sure what term is generally used for this appliance) should he be able to take care of the MUA issue then?

I hate to be so dense about this. I hope someone can explain simply for me & others who are exchanging a microwave for a vent what has to be done re MUA. Thanks -

Comments (12)