SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fyton2v

Pentair DE filter and pressure issues

fyton2v
15 years ago

My Pentair 4060 DE filter has been driving me crazy for 5 years. I'm hoping it's not supposed to be this hard, but it's my first pool so who knows?

Quick specs: 10,000 gallon pool/spa, pentair heater, 2hp pentair whisperflo main pump, 1.5 HP whisper spa pump, pentair DE filter 4060.

Here's the thing. My DE filter has almost always leaked from the backwash pipe. As the pressure increases the leak increases. At a starting pressure of 20psi it usually doesn't leak, but as it approaches 30psi after a few weeks or so it's drip.. drip.. drip. The leak gradually worsens. Replace the o-ring then start the cycle over again. IMO the backwash design is pretty bad. It's just an o-ring that is keeping it sealed and this o-ring must see some friction and grit when you move the backwash valve back and forth.

Maybe 2HP is too high for the system. Maybe the filter is too restrictive. Maybe my return system is too restrictive. I'm not sure which. One symptom I do notice, aside from the leak, is that at about 28psi (and above) the amount of water flowing through the system drops tremendously. It'll take forever to warm up the pool or spa. Anyway, it's o-ring time again and I don't want to repeat the cycle if I don't have to. Would I be better served by replacing the DE filter with a higher quality unit (if they exist)? Maybe I can downsize the main pump to 1.5HP? I guess that would lower the operating pressure, but won't it also move less water?

I could use some advice. If I need equipment replaced I'm going to hire a pool repair person to come out and take a look at everything, but I would like to understand what I'm in for first.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Comments (4)