SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marcolo_gw

WARNING: Visual Comfort Lighting

marcolo
13 years ago

I tried to update my old thread on the topic, but the forum won't bump it.

So, to sum up, let me quote myself:

I know a lot of you use Visual Comfort lights, especially those going for a Christopher Peacock look. Visual Comfort makes most of the pieces you see on Circa lighting.

I want to warn you that if you're going to buy a Visual Comfort light, be prepared. I have a houseful of VC lighting, and have experienced problem after problem with the quality control.

- Two sconces arrived with bent candles. My electricians were only partly successful in straightening them.

- Two sconces arrived with badly mismatched shades--much darker than the others

- A large percentage of shades arrived with weird blotches all over them

- Two sconces were manufactured with bolts that protruded to different lengths on the back; my electricians had to saw them evenly to install the fixtures upright

- The clover-shaped ceiling fixture glass cracked immediately upon installation. The electrician ordered another, with all the part numbers etc. correct, and after a long delay VC sent the wrong glass entirely. They are taking their sweet leisurely time sending a new one. I'm talking months.

Today--to top it off--the reason why I'm writing this post: One of the shades on the fretwork sconces over my fireplace suddenly wrinkled badly. It looks like ____!! Not only is the correct bulb installed, but it's on a dimmer and virtually never operates at full power.

Worst of all, VC has been very unresponsive to my lighting store and everything takes FOREVER. Literally MONTHS have gone by waiting for them to replace shades and the cracked glass. The woman at my lighting store leaves messages, and no one returns her call for days, or sometimes ever.

Here's what I wrote today on the other thread--the one that didn't bump:

The nightmare continues.

As you can see from the thread above, I first received my defective VC shades last year--two of the supposedly "matching" shades are a dark, grotty color, completely different from the other shades. I have waited four months for replacements.

Today--March 16-- I got an email from the lighting store.

VC has just changed the inventory report to show that the replacement shades now have "no date" on them. No plans to make more. No concern about owing customers replacements. La la la. We're too important, we're "artists." Who are you? We're going to go wank ourselves now.

Coincidentally, a designer showed me a VC table lamp that might look good in my living room. LOL! Sorry, I only plan to live here about 20 years, it won't arrive by then.

Buyer beware. There are other good brands out there. Do you want to hold up a completed kitchen reno waiting for your light fixtures until next year? Or worse--forever?

Comments (35)