SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cefreeman_gw

Week: 31 Comfort foods or comfort memories?

CEFreeman
9 years ago

Soo. The Waffle house. I'd never heard of one, and assumed it was just an IHop on steroids. However, it seemed to strike a memory nerve with some.

So today's question is [drum roll]
Do you have a place that inspires mmmmMMMmm nom nom nom in you? Someplace that might not exist anymore?
Someplace far away from where you live now?
Someplace that you go and/or take your kids when you see one?
Do you make the dishes you remember?
Or was mom your comfort cooker?

In E. Lansing, MI, there's a place that's been there since I was in High School (70s) named the Begger's Banquet. It's gone through many transitions, but it remains an institution. There are a few more places around, like the Coral Gables (from the 50s) and Paul Revere's with its rotating bar.

But Begger's, being the only really non-bar food, remains where we go today. Can't say anything on the menu is a must, but we go.

As far as my mom cooking, or me creating any of her or their meals? They're odd things, like cheeseball, meatballs, cheese soup, meatloaf, and nibbles. I actually started cooking when my mom went back to college in Jr. High, so I was the one making meatloaf. (nom nom nom) Or other things. We learned the reason my mom didn't eat turkey is because she hated sticking her hand it the bird. Grossed her out. So I did Thanksgiving and Christmas when I would go visit. She did eat bird then!

So for me, there are comfort memories, vs. tangible, sit down and revel in the food. I learned about 2 weeks before the last time I saw my mom, she made meatloaf for me because I loved it. Took her several hours, because she had to keep sitting down. We had no idea how sick she actually was. But that comfort memory amazes me each time it crosses my mind.

That visit, I took her chocolate walnut fudge. Another nibble we love. She couldn't eat much with what we now know was thrush from steroids (another story), but her eyes lit up when I cut some into little pieces and she worked on them. She was barely eating and thin as a reed, but I see her pleasure in the idea. We laughed together.

Here in MD, my ex-GC-DH's family had lots of comfort places, but they, too, have suffered the pains of time and economic ruin. "Flying Floss" sandwiches at this place in Gaithersburg. Pork Chops in Olney. Steak and prime rib at Fernando's in Wheaton. Sr. Walter Raleigh's anywhere we passed on on the road. So just MEAT.

Enough about me. Tell me about your food, the memories they inspire and do you replicate them?

Comments (33)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!