SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennaflower_gw

New baby and Insane cat

jennaflower
17 years ago

I realize this seems to be a recurring theme but I wanted to be specific about my problem. Jacob is 5 months old and the love of my life. Pie is about 5 years old and becoming a REAL problem!! Now, I know Pie is jealous of Jacob, even though he is actually very loving around him, lets him touch, etc.. But Pie is pooping in our tub and peeing in our clothes baskets and I dont know what to do!! I've tried giving him kitty time when Jacob's asleep...brushing, petting, can of special wet food...loves it but changes nothing. Pie ALWAYS used his box before...what the heck? Jacob's daddy and I fight about this daily, and he wants me to "get rid of that damn cat or I will!" And honestly, I am starting to get fed up myself!! Any ideas?

Comments (64)

• labmomma
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

That's actually untrue Laurie. I never referred to you by name in first post, only stated with regard to your solution of putting water in the tub and lid on the hamper, would probably lead to the cat peeing in another location. I address you by name in my second post only. I would appreciate your not commenting on my or any other person's sense of family responsiblity as I don't think you are qualified nor entitled. Be careful, you should never say never.

You act as though I would just take any animal for no reason but for unacceptable behavior and dispose of it. That is way too broad a statement to make about me since you don't know me at all. I don't consider animals "disposable".

Thank you for your permission to do as I see fit in my own home. It means alot.

• laurief_gw
    17 years ago

labmomma, the FIRST WORD in your FIRST RESPONSE to this thread is MY NAME. Or are you thinking that my name really isn't Laurie?

And I have not used the word "never" in any of my previous posts to this thread until now. To what, exactly, are you under the impression that I am saying never?

I remarked on my sense of responsibility to my family and to my definition of my family as including the 4-legged members. If you extended that remark to include your behavior toward the animals you own, that's on you.

You have stated that you would euthanize a cat who urinates inappropriately. How is that not disposing of an animal for unacceptable behavior? You're writing in circles, and at the center of every circle is the "disposable cat".

Were you to ask me for permission to dispose of an animal with a soiling problem, I would not grant it.

Laurie

• Related Discussions

Baby Chick Grabbed by Cat in Broad Daylight

Q

Comments (10)
    I'm sorry this happened. :( Unfortunately, you really can't avoid things like this in the situation the chicks were in. Predators will be predators and you can't fault them for that...all you can do is call this a learning experience and do better next time. We've had a problem for the last week with a cat coming into our yard during the day. We are going to have to use the live trap and take it to the pound, as it isn't getting the message when we shoo it away, even when we use the garden hose on it. I have no problem with the neighborhood cats, as long as they stay out of my yard. We have two roos, one an Americaunas mix and the other a banty. Both have gotten complacent about the cat, which is a dangerous thing. We keep out chicks indoors until they are 8 weeks old, and only take them outside for 10-20 minutes at a time, with us standing right there the entire time, starting at around 3-4 weeks of age. Tragic events like this can happen in the blink of an eye, before you can even react. Velvet ~:>
    ...See More

my cat knocked over my baby jelly bean plant :0(

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi violetta...that bad kitty..LOL..Don't worry about cat fur..I found cat/dog/bird feathers in soil.. Though if there's large fuzzy balls I'd remove them Sorry about your Jellybean..they're such pretty succulents, especially when grown in full sun and turn red. If it were my plant, I'd remove a portion of beads, if possible, water, place extra beads on top, barely in soil. Make sure soil is well-draining, especially if beads are buried. On the other hand, if you want to dump entire pot on newspaper, remove as many beads as you find, then pot up again. What type of pot are u using? I find a shallow pot works best. I've a few retanguler, shallow pots, though they don't have drainage holes, but work fine..leaves are sowed in rows like a cornfield..lol.. Good luck, and I'd place in a different spot to keep your plant, otherwise kitty will decide to play games again..Toni
    ...See More

Planted my Spider Babies (stupid cat!)

Q

Comments (6)
    Bottled drinking water isn't the same as distilled water, but it can be close if the filtration system is reverse osmosis (RO). Distilling deionizes water, the important aspect of which is it leaves all dissolved solids behind when water changes phase to a gaseous form, so it is free of any solutes when it recondenses. RO water is very close to distilled. The activated charcoal filters (especially like those sold to treat tap water .... Brita, etc.) do not remove negatively charged ions (most of the chemicals dissolved in your tapwater). Negatively charged ions do not react with charcoal or the ion exchange resins in the filters, so they won't help. FWIW - I don't think we can say, if you allow your water to rest for a day it won't cause any browning of foliage. In fact, I think a good argument can be mounted for the opposite effect to be true. Spider plants react adversely to a high level of solutes in the soil solution, so distilled water (no solutes) would be helpful (snowmelt or water from dehumidifiers would be, too). Allowing your irrigation water to rest in a container for a day, or two or 10, won't help guard against spoiled foliage. Technically, it INCREASES the potential for water to cause burned leaf tips/margins. Only in water purification systems that are throwbacks to the 50s & 60s will you find a volatile form or chlorination. This is because of it's short half life. Newer forms of chlorination use chloramine, which doesn't gas off like the previously used compounds of chlorine. Fluoridation of drinking water has always used a compound that is nonvolatile, so it too, remains in any water left out to rest for any length of time. As mentioned, and since some evaporation will occur while water is resting (especially if it is in a container that has a lot of air exposure at its opening, as with a pan or bucket) The level of chlorine, fluorine, and other solutes becomes more concentrated as water rests and a fraction of its volume evaporates. We just recently rescued a kitten from a litter a crippled feral cat had. It's at my feet now - inside a large, stiff plastic bag (no suffocation risk) - playing saber tooth cave kitten. Toss a bottle cap into the bag & he's good for at least 10 minutes - a remarkable attention span accomplishment - at least for this cat. ..... couldn't resist adding this one: Some info on spider plants from one of my posts on another thread: "While necrotic leaf tips or margins can occur in this plant from over/under-watering, in fact, it's much more common for the actual cause to be a high level of soluble salts in soils. It's also commonly reported that this plant is particularly intolerant or fluoride, but it's still more common for the cause of leaf burn to be a high level of solubles, to which fluoride can be a contributor, than it is to be fluoride itself. WHEN there is a high level of salts in the soil, low humidity can be a contributor, but low humidity alone rarely presents an issue, it must be in combination with a high level of soluble salts in the soil and either over/under-watering. Of course, you cannot correct the already burned tips (they won't 'heal'), but you can take steps to keep it from happening: A) Most important is to use a soil that drains very freely. This allows you to water copiously, flushing the accumulating salts from the soil each time you water. B) Fertilize frequently when the plant is growing well, but at low doses - perhaps 1/4 the recommended strength. This, in combination with the favorable watering habit described above, will keep soluble salts levels low, and keep levels from rising due to the accumulative effect we always see when we are forced to water in sips when plants are in water-retentive soils. C) When watering, using rainwater, snow melt, water from your dehumidifiers, or distilled water also eliminates the soluble salts in your tap water and will go a long way toward eliminating or minimizing leaf burn. D) If you make your own soils and use perlite, be sure the perlite is rinsed thoroughly, which removes most of the fluorides associated with it's use. E) Allowing water to rest overnight doesn't/won't do anything in the way of helping reduce the amount of fluoride (the compounds are not volatile), and it only helps with chlorine in a very few cases, depending on what method of chlorination was used to treat your tap water; but nearly all municipalities are currently using chlorination compounds that are entirely nonvolatile, which means they won't dissipate into the air." Al
    ...See More

Multiple cats and a new baby

Q

Comments (33)
    I have two cats. Neither one of them had any interest in the crib, with or without baby. They would snuggle onto a baby blanket left on the floor, couch or chair however. If I was napping with the baby, they would come and lie with me with maybe a single paw on the edge of the blanket or the baby's foot LOL, but unless I was involved they wanted nothing to do with that noisy, stinky thing we brought home. Once in a while the younger cat would sneak a nap in the baby carrier (empty of course). After the baby started moving around more? Forget it. They would walk a wide circle around the door of her room, let alone go in there LOL. Other than not cleaning the litter box, I can't see any reason to be concerned about the cats at all. My MIL cried and cried and insisted the cats would smother the baby ("Steal her breath") or attack her, or she would choke on cat hair. Now, I am not the best housekeeper. But to my knowledge there are no chunks of cat hair lying around for babies to choke on! I say don't be worried unless a problem presents itself (and it would more likely be an issue like the cats peeing in the baby's room to voice disapproval or something). Dances.
    ...See More
  • labmomma
    17 years ago

Yes Laurie you are correct. Senior moment. Thought OP name was Laurie now I see it is not. My mistake.

"What I DO have is a wonderful 4-legged family - not a PERFECT 4-legged family, but wonderful nonetheless. I would no more discard an imperfect 4-legged family member than I would an imperfect 2-legged one, but that's just me and my own sense of family responsibility." - Are you not implying that you would not never "discard" an imperfect pet? I guess I read into that statement that you would never consider doing anything remotely resembling euthanizing a pet? -

Also, as it happens, I am feeling quite well with the way I chose to live my life, and my own sense of family responsibility. Not asking for your permission or anyone else's for that matter. I capable of make decisions based on careful consideration of all the facts and circumstances.

• laurief_gw
    17 years ago

I have euthanized a number of 4-legged family members over the decades, but never for the sake of my own convenience.

Laurie

• rivkadr
    17 years ago

If you take the cat to the vet for tests, you should have results within a day, two at the most. Then you'll know if it's a medical cause (which it's probably not, based on the timing). Talk to your vet about solutions for behavioral problems -- there are many drugs that can be tried that will resolve this type of problem. Personally, I don't think you need to make the immediate jump to giving the cat away as some here are suggesting, when popping a pill down its throat (or mashing it up and putting it in some wet food, which is what I do) every night will probably resolve the situation.

• labmomma
    17 years ago

Laurie - IMHO cat urine in a home is a little more than inconvenient. It is unsanitary and is for the most part impossible to get out of anything.

Aside from those inconveniences, you speak of being a responsible person insofar as your family is concerned, are you not concerned about how sanitary things are in your home?

OP has a child that is either crawling in the home or about to. Would you want your baby crawling across a carpet that the cat has used in lieu of a litter box?

Also, OP has to consider how this cat and its behavior is impacting her family life. You seem to not consider her responsibility to her family (the human members, of course).

***As for cat medication. Yes, I agree is simple to give since I give one of my male cats Cosequin as a preventative for former problems with prior urinary tract blockage. It is a capsule that you can sprinkle on wet food or put in a bit of water since it is flavored. Not a med to control peeing, but if you ask your vet, some pills can be crushed and given, tho some cannot you must ask before you crush pills***

• annzgw
    17 years ago

When did the problems originally show up? Shortly after bringing baby home or recently? Has the baby been ill or crying more than usual? Have you noticed the cats reaction when the baby cries?
    I'd definitely try some of the 'remedies' mentioned, but if all this started over a short period, I'd first check the stress levels in your home and go from there.

Laurie makes a good point about the energy (stress) from DH and the effect it can have on any and all in the household.

• laurief_gw
    17 years ago

Cat urine can be cleaned up with the proper use of pet stain and odor removers.

"Sanitary" is not a condition that is found in any non-sterile environment. My home is not sterile, and the fact that it is not does not cause me great concern.

I do not have a baby crawling across my floors, and the OP's cat is not peeing on her floors.

The OP assumed responsibility for the life of her cat. IMO, that responsibility is not and should not be absolved just because she also assumed the responsibility for the life of a human child. Both responsibilities should be met.

Laurie

• livvysmom
    17 years ago

I also agree that inappropriate peeing is a lot more then an "inconvenience." It is not the same as shedding on couch tracking litter through the house. It can cause some pretty expensive property damage.

It amazes me that people suggest that a person should just "live with it." I am all for trying everything you can (multiple litterboxes, medication, whatever)-- but having had two babies in the last six years I know I could never have "lived with" such a huge problem. I also know what it is like when two spouses do not have the same level of commitment to an animal (and they rarely do).

Maybe there is a medication that will help kitty until he gets used to having the baby around. It is certainly worth a try to ask.

• Lillie1441
    17 years ago

Well......as the owner of one of those cats that is obviously acting out,I am in total agreement with Labmomma!
    Your baby comes first,and your DH should be upset.I know mine is! You have to do what is best for your family.I know if I had a baby in the house my cat would have been gone long ago.Even now she is treading a very fine line.So I say do what you have to do Jenna and don't feel guilty!.......Lillie

• cheryl_p
    17 years ago

Yikes, I hesitate to jump into this one. What about adding several more litter boxes around the house? One in the tub also. My son added a female cat to his 2 cat (one male, one female) household and the male started urinating in front of the fireplace. More choices of litterboxes helped alot but he eventually found a new home for the last female. For heaven's sake, don't put Pie down and DO try everything you can think of (for your own peace of mind too) before adopting him out. Of course your baby comes first. And of course animals sense stress (fighting, even subtle resentment, etc.), far better than we meager humans do.

• Roberta_z5
    17 years ago

Cat urine is often impossible to get rid of without very expensive remodeling. I used to sell Real Estate and found that in a house that smelled of cat urine, the number of customers who would even walk through the house was greatly reduced. I once bought a home where the seller had to pull out and replace a large section of oak floors as a condition of the sale.

The situation is a new baby and a husband who is very impatient with the situation. (Multiple litter boxes?????? Trying to keep only one from smelling was the most I would do when I had indoor cats.) This is a no-brainer as far as I am concerned.

• Lillie1441
    17 years ago

Something else I have to throw in here.If I have a cat that is peeing because of any kind of "stress"(subtle resentment,jealousy,fighting,changes in environment,etc.)and the problem can't be solved,(or has been solved "temporarily" by reducing the stress,at the moment),and most likely that cat will revert back to those behaviors as soon as there is any sign of "stress" again,then I can't have that cat in my home! Sorry,that was a long sentence!
    Laurie-The OP did say she knew the cat was "jealous" of the baby.
    Maybe this cat isn't peeing on the floor right now,but it could eventually and that baby will eventually be crawling on that floor! I surely wouldn't want a baby crawling on a floor that had been peed on by a cat,(or any other animal for that matter!). And as someone else mentioned I would be very afraid,because the cat is jealous of the baby,that the baby's crib might be the next pee spot and possibly even while the baby is there! I just would not take that chance.
    As to the urine stain/odor problem being eliminated easily,I beg to differ.I have tried every odor remover mentioned here and none worked.I even talked to a professional carpet cleaner and he said cat urine odors are almost,if not impossible to remove totally.One reason being that they not only pee on carpets and furniture but they also spray walls and other things.It stands to reason that the only way to completely eliminate the odor would be to remove all carpeting and pads and possibly wood flooring and replace it,and even then you can't be 100% sure the odor will be gone!
    Just as an example.We bought a home once where the former owner was a smoker.The carpet was in fairly good condition and we couldn't afford new at the time so we had it professionally cleaned.We did replace all of it 3 years later.We repainted the whole house before we moved in.We first scrubbed the walls with a solution that is formulated to remove the "nicotine" residue and odor,then painted all the walls with a base coat of KILZ,which is also suppose to eliminate stains and odor.We even had A/C ducts and filters cleaned.Less than 6 months after this renovation you could walk in the front door and the smell of cigarettes would almost gag you.We didn't smoke or allow smoking in our home.Until the day we moved 9 years later,the smell was still there.If the odor of cigarettes couldn't be eliminated with all the measures we took,wouldn't you think cat urine would be even more of a problem since it is liquid and soaks into carpets,
    furniture,drapes,wood and even between the seams and cracks of tile? My bath tub is fiberglass and I can't get the odor or stain out of it from the cat peeing in there! We could argue from now on about this and there still wouldn't be a positive solution!

• labmomma
    17 years ago

Laurie -- you post - "Sanitary" is not a condition that is found in any non-sterile environment. My home is not sterile, and the fact that it is not does not cause me great concern.

Sanitary and sterile are two entirely different things.

Sanitary means in clean, healthy condition.

Sterile means free from living micro-oraganisms.

I think you need to at least have your house in a "sanitary" condition when raising a child. Are you not in agreement? I am assuming you have the two words and their meanings confused, or you would not have posted the above. Sanitary in no way implies a sterile condition.

As for your statement: -Cat urine can be cleaned up with the proper use of pet stain and odor removers. - I have to disagree as have many others who have experienced this particular smell. I guess we all have a level of what we are willing to live with insofar as our home's cleanliness...

• sylviatexas1
    17 years ago

jennaflower, if it were my cat, I'd have the vet check pronto.

Urinary tract infections almost *always* cause "inappropriate litterbox behavior".

Occasionally the infection is low-grade enough that the tests will show negative, but the cat is having pain & discomfort, & the behavior continues.

So if the test results are negative, & the vet cannot identify the problem, I'd have him put my cat on anti-biotics appropriate for urinary tract infection anyway.

At the same time, I'd get some Feliway, keep a little water in the tub, keep the laundry in a closed hamper, & tell hubby to be sweet.

This is not world war 3, it's just a solveable problem.

sylvia

ps: if the cat is gentle with the baby, I don't think he's jealous. Jealous/angry/POed cats, in my experience, are not gentle with the object of their dissatisfaction.

There's gotta be a physical problem.

• Lillie1441
    17 years ago

Urinary tract infections almost *always* cause "inappropriate litterbox behavior".
    Sylvia-I have to dissagree,since this was "not" the cause of my cat's problem and I have a $200. Vet bill to prove it!
    Why is it that so many here think all the problems and innapropriate behaviors our animals have can be solved with medication when all other measures have failed? Do we not ever think of the possibility that they are animals and may just be doing what ANIMALS do?
    I am certainally no expert but from what Jenna has said it would stand to reason that her cat's behavior has something to do with the arrival of her sweet baby,since up until that point he was always a good kittie. Jealousy,
    less attention,stress or upheaval in the household,
    WHATEEEEVER,has caused the innapropriate peeing,but Heaven forbid we blame it on the fact that the cat is just being a cat! Solution.......Get rid of the stress,ie. the baby,husband whatever is causing it and keep the CAT happy! (Just kidding:)!! OR find the cat another home,OR(Heaven forbid again!) have him euthanized because he will likely do the same because of the stress of being in a new home and nobody else is going to want your problem! Of course she can always put him on medication,which may or may not work,(I'm sure she has time every day with a new baby to pop him a pill or two or work for several weeks,months to find the "right" medication or combination that "works")and continue to live with the likelyhood that he will still pee in innapropriate places and stink up her home where her baby is playing and learning to crawl on the nice sanitary floor where the cat has peed! Her husband will continue to resent the cat and be upset with HER because she thinks more of the cat than she does of her family.And who knows,maybe it will end in a divorce or maybe even them being guests on the Dr.Phil show!

"The OP assumed responsibility for the life of her cat. IMO, that responsibility is not and should not be absolved just because she also assumed the responsibility for the life of a human child. Both responsibilities should be met."
    Laurie IMHO that is a ridiculous statement! Responsibility for a human life has no comparison to that of an animal and if the animal is conflicting with the lives and well being of my baby or any other member of my family,guess who I choose without hesitation? I love my Pets but my first obligation is to my human family!
    (((((Jenna)))))-I hope you can find a solution to your problem....................Lillie

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    17 years ago

Jenna.. if YOU feel that your first responsibility is to your baby, including keeping a happy HEALTHY home, and a happy healthy relationship between baby's mother and father, then you must do whatever it is you feel is best...whatever that may be.

I don't think it is unreasonable for your husband to be as upset as he is. Mine would be reacting same as yours. Not sure what I would do if I were you since I haven't had to deal with such a situation.

Wouldn't it be great if your cats problem is simply a UTI? But you can't be absolutely certain of that without a vet check.

Good luck.

• laurief_gw
    17 years ago

Sorry, Lillie, but your definition of "love" in regards to your pets doesn't jive with any definition of love I have ever been taught. I was raised with a humane ethic that defined love as love, regardless of species. If I had a human child who scooted across a "sanitary" carpet in a poopy diaper or, heaven forbid, tossed a cup of grape juice across my new sofa, I wouldn't stick a needle in her arm and say, "Sorry, kid, but the sanitation of my home and the pristine condition of my possessions are of more value to me than your life." No, I would accept the certain and inevitable lack of sanitation that comes with poopy diapers and the ruination of personal possessions as part and parcel of loving a child, and I do the same for the love of my 4-legged family members. Love is love for me. That's how I was raised, and I couldn't be more grateful for it.

You are quite right about cats being cats. Cats as a species are known to often react to stress in ways we as humans find bothersome and perhaps even unacceptable. Which begs the question - why, if you know you can not live with the potentially unpleasant behavioral manifestations of cats for better or worse, would you ever bring one into your home to begin with? Why play Russian Roulette with a cat's life in hopes that (s)he'll never do anything to upset you to the point of killing the cat? Do you have so little regard for life that you are willing to subject a cat to your potentially deadly priorities?

You're right again. We could argue about this all day, and in the end you will never change my humane ethic, and I will never change your lack of same.

Laurie

• ojoy
    17 years ago

I recommend Rescue Remedy that someone has already mentioned.

It is safe and effective and easy to administer, much better than trying to get a pill down kitty's throat.

• Lillie1441
    17 years ago

"You're right again. We could argue about this all day, and in the end you will never change my humane ethic, and I will never change your lack of same."
    You are right Laurie.We could argue about this all day and it could get really stupid! I resent that you think I am inhumane and think it is very rude of you to say that,especially since you don't know me!
    I was also taught to love all God's creatures,but I
    was also taught that those creatures don't come before the welfare of the humans in our family. When you get right down to it the animals we keep as pets were not originally meant to be pets.It is humans that decided that for them,and some humans who decided they should be treated like children,which is fine for them,just not for me.
    Your constant comparison of animals to human children is totally ridiculous and in my opinion shows a lack of common sense on your part.
    You have your opinions and I have mine but please don't judge me because mine aren't the same as yours! I certainally haven't judged you or anyone else on this board and I expect the same courtesy.
    I am only expressing my opinion,but you have been rude and hateful! What you do with your pets is your business.You can let them soil your carpets and furniture,sit at your table and have dinner with the family for all I care.
    Whatever floats your boat!I actually have a friend that lets her dog eat at the table,although not when she has company and I respect her for that.That's fine,if that's what she wants to do and fine for you to do whatever you want with your pets.Just don't belittle me because I don't feel the same way!If that isn't what I choose to do then that is my business.
    And,by the way,I still have my cat and am still working on the problem,so I'm not throwing her away just yet.That isn't to say that she still may be leaving,just depends on whether or not we can fix the problem.Yes,I am really a cruel and heartless person.Thanks for reminding me!
    Lillie

• Lillie1441
    17 years ago

ojoy-Thanks,that was to be my next step! I had gone back over the posts just today and found this mentioned! I will call my local health food store tomorrow and see if they have it. If not I will have to drive to another city to PetSmart. I hope it works because I really don't want to have to get rid of this cat.

• labmomma
    17 years ago

Hi Lillie, its so funny that you posted about your friend that lets her pet eat from her table except when she has guests. My MIL used to let her golden eat a proper Thanksgiving plate at the table - in the dining room but before anyone else even entered that area of the house. At first I though is she crazy, but then I saw her love for her dog over the years and somehow made sense to me? MIL is alone just her dog for companionship when she is at home.

As for the rest of this stuff, I've had enough. I am too intelligent to continue to argue especially when good arguments/suggestions seem to either fall on deaf ears, or in the alternative, are jumped on by some really scary judgmental people.

My best to you and good luck with your situation.

• sylviatexas1
    17 years ago

lillie, I didn't say that there are no other possibiilties besides UTI.

I said that UTI almost always causes inappropriate litterbox behavior.

I also said that sometimes a low-grade infection will not register "positive" on a test, but if you give the cat anti-biotics, the symptoms go away.

• rivkadr
    17 years ago

Why is it that so many here think all the problems and innapropriate behaviors our animals have can be solved with medication when all other measures have failed?

Because for MOST of us, that has worked.

• Boopadaboo
    17 years ago

I guess what I don't understand is, did you not know you were going to plan a family some day? If you get a cat, dog, or any kind of pet, you are making it a part of your family. You are taking responsibility for that pet.

Don't get one if you are going to be so willing to get rid of them when life is not easy. Having pets is not easy.

I think Laurie said it well -

"The OP assumed responsibility for the life of her cat. IMO, that responsibility is not and should not be absolved just because she also assumed the responsibility for the life of a human child. Both responsibilities should be met."

If you are not willing to make that commitment - then why are you getting a pet?????

• jrdown
    17 years ago

boopadaboo ~

I guess what I don't understand is, did you not know you were going to plan a family some day? If you get a cat, dog, or any kind of pet, you are making it a part of your family. You are taking responsibility for that pet.

FYI, some folks don't plan on having children and then they meet the right person and change their mind. I'm not saying this is what happened but to think that all things are set in concrete with no deviations is not realistic.

Without going into whether she had the cat before she married or not, that doesn't really negate the problem with Pie. He is, seemingly, retaliating by urinating in various places that are unacceptable.

Perhaps she should put Pie in a small bathroom or crate that is large enough to accomodate a small litter box until he learns that the only place to go is the box. Some relearning needs to go on unless it is determined that there is a medical problem that can be helped or corrected by medication.

Having acceptable family dynamics is very important. I am sure that her husband has been supportive about as long as he can. I'm sure it didn't just happen a few times and he said that the cat needed to go.

Furkids are very important in the family but not more important than a marriage. I hope you aren't alluding to the fact that the entire family has to put up with that behavior for the next 10+ years simply because the cat was there before the baby.

Truthfully, I hope that a medical problem is discovered so that it can be treated. If not, then the OP will have to decide to either modify the freedom of the cat or try to correct the problem. If that doesn't help then, perhaps, the cat could be in an enclosed porch or patio and brought in when the adults are there to supervise.

Robyn

• Sully6
    17 years ago

Jenna,

There was a great article at Slate awhile back on infant-pet relations. One of the points was that if you only pay attention to the pet when the baby is asleep, the message the pet gets is "baby gone, life good again."

From your message, I am not sure if you are looking for suggestions on how you might solve this problem or asking whether most people would rehome the pet given the circumstances.

If you want to try keeping Pie, I would visit the vet just to rule out any health issues, followed by some of the other suggestions posted here.

My vet's office has a section of its Web site devoted to inappropriate elimination. Here's an excerpt:

Making Inappropriately Used Area Unattractive or Inaccessible:

1. Block access to soiled area (closed doors, baby gates)

2. Feliway (synthetic pheromone available through veterinarians, pet shops) sprayed frequently in the area of inappropriate elimination - may work best if the cat who is urinating inappropriately is "marking their territory" (versus other reasons).

3. Other scent deterrents (citrus room fresheners arent popular with cats - putting one of them near the area that the cat is inappropriately urinating may help)

4. Other deterrents (such as "Sticky Paws", which is double-sided adhesive tape - may work to make the soiled area less appealing)

5. Use of enzymatic cleaner in adequate amounts (Natures Miracle/Anti-Icky Poo) to clean soiled area - these products work to neutralize the odor of urine or stool.

6. Change function of soiled area (use for play or feeding)

7. Cover soiled area (piece of furniture, plastic, tarp, aluminum foil)

8. Confine cat when unsupervised

Additional Suggestions:

1. Add "vertical territory" into home (cat trees, condos, etc.) - cats love heights and it definitely expands the available "cat territory", which in turn may decrease tendency for some cats to spray/mark or inappropriately urinate

2. Give cat his or her own "safe" space (separate conflicting cats)

3. Additional litter box(es) when owner out of town - pet-sitters may not be as meticulous about keeping the boxes as clean as the owner does and/or they may not clean it as often

If "Environmental Management" fails, and medical problems have been aggressively ruled out or resolved

1. Other "psychotropic" drugs to reduce aggression or anxiety (Prozac, Elavil, Clomiprimine) offenders

2. New home for cat - though it may be difficult to find an owner willing to take a cat with a history of inappropriate elimination, we have found that the offending cats problem will often be "cured" if put into a low-stress (as defined by the cat!) home with clean, adequate-size litter boxes, etc.

3. Referral to board-certified veterinary behaviorist

4. Euthanasia - last resort only

Prognosis

The prognosis for improvement is more likely if several of the following are true:

1. The duration is less than 1 month when treatment begins.

2. There are only one or two locations in the house that the cat uses for inappropriate elimination.

3. It is possible to identify and relieve the stress-causing situation.

4. It is possible to neutralize the odor caused by the urine or stool.

5. You have only one cat.

I hope this helps!

• Lillie1441
    17 years ago

Jenna-In your OP you were asking for help in solving your problem with your cat. It was hijacked by a lot of people,including me,by getting away from the original subject and I would like to appologize to you. I know the dilema you are having and I can totally sympathize. You have gotten a lot of valuable information here. There are no easy solutions to the problem you are having,and I hope you will be able to resolve it and do what is best for you and your family............Lillie

• livvysmom
    17 years ago

Why is it some people constantly compare pets to children? IE: would you chop off your kids finger's if they did xxxx, would you murder you toddler if he peed on carpet.... On another post of mine where I complained about an annoying dog, people compared that to children misbehaving in a restaurant.

Human children and pets are not on the same level! And I should know because I have both a cat and 4 and 6 year old children. My children (as are all) are a work in progress. They are little imperfect humans that I am spending the next 10-12 years molding into hopefully, good people. That said, I do love my little kitty but my first obligation (if I had to choose) would most definately be to my family and marriage.

Again, the OP had a real serious problem, not an "inconvenience." It is NOT normal for a healthy (mentally and physically) cat to have accidents.

If your expectation is that all people who adopt pets must hold them to the level of human children -- I think you will be disappointed and adoptions will go way down.

• Boopadaboo
    17 years ago

In some instances, I might agree with you livvy. I think what gets me the most annoyed by these topics is when people post on one thread that they think another pet owner is irresponsible for their actions and then start their own the next day saying they are thinking of getting rid of their pet. I just can't reconcile the hypocrisy. I don't know why I even bother to keep reading, it makes my blood boil.

I do hope the OP finds a solution to their problem and I did not intend to get things off topic.

I did have a cat that peed in my hamper a few times and actually any box of new clothes I got in the mail. I removed those items to an area that he was unable to reach, and the issue went away (unless I forgot and left them out of the closet) I don't know what was/did/does stress him out, so I don't know if that would work for the OP along with some citrus spray.

I did have him checked out thoroughly first by the vet though.

• Sully6
    17 years ago

"Again, the OP had a real serious problem, not an 'inconvenience.' It is NOT normal for a healthy (mentally and physically) cat to have accidents."

Well, inappropriate peeing and pooping is the most common behavioral problem among cats, so most of us who are cat owners will face this at one time or another.

My husband and I did recently when we moved. But honestly? I did think of it as an inconvenience more than a serious problem. I knew the disruption to our household had freaked someone out, and that once things started to get normal again, our errant whizzer would calm down. It was a pain to deal with in the interim and did take about three months to straighten out, but sure enough it ceased.

The only reason I think of the OP's problem as major is because it is causing stress on her marriage--that's serious, especially with a new baby in the house too. I do hope she and her husband are able to work out some kind of agreement to try a few of the suggestions posted here before they decide to give up their cat.

• paigect
    17 years ago

I see where Boopadadoo is coming from. Lillie lambasted me on my post about being an irresponsible pet owner for letting my cat outside, but now is considering getting rid of her cat for inappropriate peeing. Interesting.

I'm not saying I don't sympathize with cat owners going through this problem. If I had this problem with a cat and it was jeopardizing my marriage or adding stress with a new baby and I tried everything mentioned above and the behavior kept up, I would consider re-homing the cat. I have a cat who uses the basement floor instead of the litter box and I haven't rehomed her (the basement is unfinished and leaky and not a priority right now). Yet according to Lillie I am an irresponsible pet owner.

So Lillie, if you don't want to be judged, perhaps you should be careful not to harshly judge others.

• Lillie1441
    17 years ago

Paige-I believe what I said in response to your post was that you were not willing to solve the problem with your "Psycho neighbor" by keeping your cat inside.In my opinion and obviously the opinion of many others who responded also that is/was the only way you could be 100% sure that your problem would be solved.I don't believe I ever called you an irresponsible pet owner,just that you weren't taking the responsibility of keeping the cat inside.I have outside cats,always have and probably allways will. I see nothing wrong with that,if that is your choice,but I wouldn't be complaining about someone letting my cats inside their house if I wasn't willing to solve the problem by keeping the cat inside and that is what I said. Sorry if you got the idea I was calling you an irresponsible pet owner or judging you. I was only expressing my opinion as to what I could see as the solution to your problem. Please accept my apology if I gave you any other impression.
    Jenna-Again,I apologize for hijacking your OP. This will be my last response to this subject,PROMISE! And again,I hope you will be able to find a happy solution to yout problem..............Lillie

• Elly_NJ
    17 years ago

Always address medical causes when an animal starts doing something (urinating inappropriately, cranky, sleeping more, etc) it hasn't done before.

Regardless of the bickering here that has hijacked your question, cats do not have the human based emotions attibuted here. Anyway, I know very few people who pee on other people's things they are "jealous." Stress can create medical problems (for example, intersticial cystitis). That does not mean it is not a real physical problem.

Good luck with your family! Thanks for looking further into your cat's problem.

• junebug20
    16 years ago

Laurie - what a pompous windbag you are!

It was quite obvious that labmomma asked that you stop responding to her posts, but you just couldn't help yourself.

You remind me of Rosie O'Donnell and I am SO SORRY for YOU!

Jennaflower - I do hope that you found the answer to your quandry SOMEWHERE in this mess of a thread. Congrats on the new baby!

• annzgw
    16 years ago

June,
    Did you not notice the thread is nearly a year old? IMO, your reponse is not above what you're accusing the others of.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    16 years ago

So whatever happened to the cat? Op is probably long gone...

• lilliepad
    16 years ago

I'd like to know how this all turned out too.I still have my cat.She hasn't peed on the bed in a couple of months so she's still safe from my inhumane behavior.LOL
    Yeah,I know I said I wasn't responding to anything else on this board but I'm a woman after all and we are allowed to change our minds.Right?

• sue36
    16 years ago

I know this thread is old, but my experience might help someone else. My cat started peeing in the tub (sometimes, otherwise in the litterbox) and pooping in front of the litter box on the tile floor. No medical issues (he was checked out) and the box was cleaned twice a day. DH (who wasn't DH yet at the time) and I decided to have the cat spend the winter at DH's house. The cat stopped the "inappropriate" behavior. As much as the cat loved me (I'd had him 14 years or so at that time), he was lonely. I worked long hours and was rarely home. Winter was off-season for DH, so he was home a lot. The cat was very happy to see me whenever I was there, but he obviously preferred it at DH's house. He'd lived in my place for many years, and the change to DH's house didn't bother him.

So, maybe if the cat was given away it wouldn't repeat the behavior at the new house. Or maybe if the home situation that was causing the behavior could be remedied the behavior would stop as well. Obviously you can't get rid of the baby, but maybe more attention to the cat would help, I don't know.

But I wouldn't assume the behavior is not correctible, because in my experience it is. Good luck.

• sweetchastity
    15 years ago

Your OP says that your baby is 5 months old and your cat is becoming a problem. I have to wonder when the behaviour started. I think if he was doing this out of spite it would have started probably very soon after you brought your baby home, I'm guessing the first month (someone can add to this as I'm going with gut instinct here, I think jealousy would have shown up very soon after the baby came home, not 4-5 months later).

Either way if it was me I would have the cat checked by a vet before getting rid of him. If he's been a good kitty for 5 years then give him the benefit of the doubt. He deserves that much. At least then you can find a home for him (I think he'd be more adoptable as a cat who peed with a UTI rather than a cat who peed out of jealousy).

Of course your baby should be your first priority but not your only one. One poster here mentioned how her cat saved her baby's life and this cat could become a guardian angel over your child one day. I personally sleep better at night with Dustin by my side. Cats hearing and sense of smell are better than humans, definitely better than mine, and when his head perks up at night then snuggles back to sleep I feel safe. He might not be able to protect me but his sense of danger is better than mine.

Ultimate it is your decision and you have to make the one you feel is right for everyone involved but please include your cat as one of the 'everyone'.

To put the debate in perspective, I worked as a nurse and often covered night shifts in people's homes so the caregivers could sleep through the night while I cared for their loved one. One was an adorable 4 month old girl who was unfortunately born with a genetic disorder. I fed her through a tube into her stomach and watched over her at night. The other nurses and I agreed she was a lovely child but the parents would go on and on about how their toddler was so smart and talking, using bigger words than his age and how he was gifted. He was the perfect child every parent dreams of. I can imagine how heartbreaking it must have been for this couple to have a second child so challenged with, regrettably, a limited life expectancy. Speculation became fact and the couple put their daughter up for adoption. Is it because they loved her less? Is it because they couldn't cope with caring for a child that would probably not reach pre-school? Was she a blemish on the perfect family they envisioned when they got married? Who can say? Some nurses on the team thought the parents didn't want to bother with such a child and that they were cold and unfeeling to give away their child. I didn't know the family long enough to have an opinion but also know it wasn't my place to have one. I was there to provide a service for the wellbeing of this family. Giving their daughter up for adoption to a caregiver who could give this child the love and support and care she needed was probably the best thing for that baby, whatever the parents reasons may be. But they were judged for giving up their child.

Everyone has their opinion and everyone is ultimate responsible for their own decisions. By coming here it seemed you were looking for input, advice and a solution to stop the unacceptable behaviour so that is what some posters offered. Sometimes none of these suggestions help and the final decision is yours. I like to make decisions that are best for me with minimal negative impact on others, then again I'm the lady who apologizes to a spider when she kills it. If you've done all you can to make what you believe is the right decision then have no regrets. They only hold you back and prevent you from fully enjoying life.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

Dear Sweetchastity, the baby is now a toddler.

• petaloid
    15 years ago

You know, sweetchastity has put a lot of thought and effort into her answer. Even though the child of the original poster is about 2 1/2 by now, it is still helpful advice for someone else with a similar problem.

We get questions on Pets Forum about this sort of behavior fairly often. I plan to share some of the ideas with my sis, whose cat does something similar when they have overnight guests.

• sweetchastity
    15 years ago

I saw this post resurrected and did forget to check the original date posted and read many of the other posts but not all of them. The issue stuck in my mind and it is a difficult one. I just wanted to add my thoughts, late though they may be. Sometimes it takes me a couple of days to go through a long post but I wanted to speak while the thoughts were in my head. I hope everything worked out and will continue to read this thread.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

Your right petal. I m sorry sweetchasity for a flippant reply. The info is still good for others who might need it.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

I do know how to spell most of the time! Replace your with You're, and add an apostrophe after I. I need some coffee...

• quasifish
    15 years ago

I don't know how I missed this thread 2 years ago- my DD is about the same age as the OP's.

Years ago, when I was a kid, we had a neutered male cat who was peeing inappropriately and no medical reason could be found. It was deemed as something triggered by stress. The vet put him on a one month pack of cat birth control pills (Ovaban?) and it stopped the behavior entirely. I'm not sure if this is something practiced widely, or just something this vet did; I do know other people who have treated inappropriate elimination with the same method, with great success. I'm not sure why it often works, maybe it helps them relax and gives time for the habit to be broken? If someone is in a situation like this, it would definitely be worth talking to a vet about trying- and definitely better than automatically disposing of a cat.

• caflowerluver
    15 years ago

jennaflower - What did you decide to do with the cat? When I read posts like this I always wonder what happened. It is like a story with no ending. I just saw that this post is almost 2 years old! And the OP never responded to any of the posts.

• runsnwalken
    15 years ago

Young people about to marry and have kids, should honestly rethink the whole pet ownership thing and indeed in these troubling economic and polictical times their own morality, there are 6 1/2 billion humans on our planet, the earth can only physically substain 12 billion and what quality of life is that?, no pets, wildlife, no fresh air,water, no nature. indeed seriously if humans don't start fixing each other on a scale like we do animals one day cannibalism, and death will become the norm as food either becomes too expensive to get or runs out. Most of the humans in the world are starving and dying from diseases. Our very lives are so for so many of us dull and depressing at work, it seems amoral to have kids, not adopt but have kids.

Pets are wiser for couples to have IMO because they don't aid to the growing human problem, they don't grow up, get drunk, not liston to your advice, go to parties,do drugs/ect. Spoiling a pet is better then a child because pets unlike humans never grow up and leave you, the real world (if you never rehome) is their world of love and I can get whatever I want as long as it isn't violent, nasty ect. Do that to a human child and your doing one of the meanest things you can do to someone.

As for a pet getting along with kids, you can put the pet in another room, mix blankets that have baby scent, slowly introduce the two, ect.

• sephia
    15 years ago

Cannibalism?? People eating people?

Runsnwalken, you always give me a good laugh.

• runsnwalken
    15 years ago

It wont happen in our lifetimes nor in many lifetimes to come but the first steps are being taken, Higher cost of living, dwendling food resourses,more wars, cannibalism has happened as resently as world war 2.( read it in a book on the matter) and besides starvation diseases or preadtors its natures way to control the populations of carnivores or omnevores. If nobuddy had ANY food whatsoever peoples brains and behavior would change, they would have no choices but to revert to prmitive instincts to survive. your get hairy and eat your muscles if you starve. Weird things happen to people who don't eat normally.

but its not going to happen to us if people put population limits on themselves, in a humane and eitical way. Things would have to get very bad before people,being so advanced and evolved would snoop to that level. Otherwise in another few thousend years, it might happen.