SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newhomeseeker

dogs peeing in crate

newhomeseeker
12 years ago

I have had two rat terriers since April. One is 2 one is 4 years old. I adopted them from a shelter. They basically fudged the truth about the dogs. Said they were house trained (they were/are not) and some other things. I make sure I take them outside several times a day and stay out with them until they do their business. However, neither of them will go to the door when they need to go out. I tried giving them treats when they go out but then the younger one caught on once when she cried to go outside and I took her out and rewarded her with a treat. She spent the rest of the night whining wanting to go out (to get a treat) not because she needed to use the bathroom.

So instead of treats I just praise them for going out. When I can not watch them I have to put them in their crate (a large wire cage) because otherwise they will poop and pee on the carpet and are ruining my floors. They are in their crate for nine hours while I am at work. THey are also in their crate at night for 8-9 hours. I used to let them sleep on my bed but they would get down in the middle of the night and make a mess on the floor.

Recently I have noticed that one of the dogs is peeing in the crate. It happens when I am at work, and it happened last night when I was sleeping. The dogs have been to the vet to check for infections and they received a clean bill of health. Any dogs that I have had before would NEVER mess up their crate because it is where they sleep. I am going to separate the dogs and place them each in a different crate tomorrow to find out which one is peeing in the cage.

Otherwise I have no idea what to do. There is no way I can have someone let them out during the day while I am at work, I make sure they go outside right before bedtime. They do not have access to water in their crate.

I have no idea what to do. Any ideas?

Comments (2)