SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nhb22

Stateline Water Heater Problem after plumber fix

nhb22
12 years ago

Our water heater started producing hotter water about a week and a half ago. It was hard to take a shower without turning the knob to cold. Then all of the sudden, we had no hot water. NOTE: This heater only serves the Master bedroom. We have another identical heater that takes care of the rest of the house.

We called our plumber who replaced both the upper and lower thermostats. Instant hot water ensued. We were able to take two scalding hot showers before the water turned cold again. Our plumber came back out and replaced both coils (are these the same as elements?)that had a nasty build-up of calcified junk on them. Once again, we received instant hot water for one day.

The next day - a Saturday, no hot water. Since I couldn't get a plumber on Saturday, I did some research and read about a reset button on the top. I took the cover off and pressed the button. The water heater came to life and soon we had hot water. All was fine until this morning and now no hot water again.

I called the plumber today and explained what was happening and about the reset button. He sounded frustrated and said he was tired of fooling with the heater and would just order another since it was still under warranty. The heater is almost 5 years. Of course, we will still have to pay for labor. In the meantime, I have reset the button.

My question: The thermostats are brand new, the coils are brand new, why the trouble? I just hate to replace the whole unit if it doesn't need to be replaced. The tank is not leaking.

Comments (8)