SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
freezetag

Time required to care for a puppy

freezetag
16 years ago

I've never had a puppy; I've only adopted adult dogs that for various reason needed a home. But because dh's allergies are growing more severe, we agreed that the next time we get a dog, we'd try a less allergenic breed (like a Wheaten, poodle or Kerry Blue). We don't really expect to stumble upon a rescue, so we were planning to buy a puppy in the spring. Not having had a puppy before, I wanted to wait for a time when we are home a lot (when the kids are out of school) so that we would have extra time to devote to training the puppy.

However (you knew this was coming, right?) we have a chance to buy an 8 week old Wheaten puppy (from a breeder whose puppies were all reserved, but now has had a buyer back out). Is it realistic to adopt a puppy when we are away from the house for 6 - 7 hours at a time? Dh or I could come home at lunch to let the puppy out, but wouldn't have time during the day to work with it. I am tempted, but wonder if it would be a much better idea to wait for summer, when there is someone at home for most of the day. Eventually, the dog would have to be OK with being home during the day, but how important is it for the first few months?

Comments (13)