SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

who are you thankful for?

vacuumfreak
17 years ago

Hello! It's just another day to our animal companions, but I was reflecting because it's Thanksgiving. I am thankful for my furry feline friend, Jasper. I am 23, and I've had my first apartment for 2 months now. I got him from the SPCA a month before moving to have as a companion because I knew living on my own for the first time would be scary and perhaps lonely or boring. I must say that I enjoy it very much and would rather live with my cat than most people I know! It took me an hour to pick the right cat... The lady shoved a 6 month old tabby in my face which they called "Clue", and said they had just gotten him in yesterday the second I stepped in the "cat room". She said if she was getting a cat, this is the one she would choose. I played with him and then looked at several others. I came back to the original, changed his name to something I could tolerate and waited. You have to wait two days for them to neuter, if you adopt from the SPCA. It was terrible... I wanted him that instant. I went in for a smaller kitten, but his sweet disposition and cream orange color melted my heart. He came home with a slight case of kennel cough, but that went away with some antibiotics, a vet visit, and a lot of hugs. I've been in love since the day I got him, and every day something new about him amazes me. My best friend moved halfway across the country a few months ago and I don't get along with my family (for some reason their God only loves heterosexual caucasian Americans... go figure). Japser is always there for me. He never judges or gets mad at or wants revenge. He just loves. The snuggles, cuddles, and kisses are so sweet. I think he does things on purpose just to make me laugh. Sometimes he annoys me, like when he wants to play in the middle of the night or drink out of the dishpan of rinse water even though I just filled his bowl 2 minutes ago. He seems so interested in me. When I take a shower he is right there. When I'm cleaning the kitchen he's right where watching my every move. If he's quiet and I pet him or pick him up he purs. He even purs when I clip his nails. The other day when I came home and found my new loaf of bread in shreds, I thought someone had let a cheetah loose in the apartment while I was away. Certainly not my little angel! I am glad that he is normally so well behaved. I am work full time and go to school part time... no time or energy for nonsense behavior. So, I am very thankful for everything that he adds to my life. I am glad to have him. I am so happy that people and animals can interact in such positive ways with each other. I've seen a bumper sticker that says "my cat is the only one who understands me." There may be some truth to that. I'm not saying that he takes the place of people, but I like him more than most people I know. He is fulfilling in a different way than any human can be. What is so great is that he isn't doing anything to try to please me... just being himself. So innocent and pure... and purrfect! I used to have a ball python which I named Sharikarakuru (was 16, don't ask!)... just wasn't the same as my furbaby. I know that I will never be without a cat! If anyone responds I don't expect a novel like mine, but it may be fun to say why you are thankful for your animal companions. I'm also thankful for the wonderful regulars of the pet forum... what nice people! I've been going to "thathomesite.com" since I was 17. Usually never ventured far off the cleaning tips and appliances forum. Now I've expanded a bit and it's great... what wonderful community!

Comments (8)