SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Island - corner/base finishing question.

User
14 years ago

For some reason I've been putting off finishing my island. My Dad has some free time to remake (yep remake) my corners and I need to make sure I get it right this time.

I screwed them up by staining without testing. It looked horrible orange. Wouldn't sand off.

The base will be painted black. Dad made ....forget what he calls them.. plinth blocks? to use on the corners where the base buts into. See photos. They would get painted black. He made them..something about different widths of the wood. Smooth transition or something.

I don't know. I don't believe I've even seen an island finished like this and I've discovered sometimes my Dad and I don't have the same vision for what looks right on a completed project. I need some feedback.

The corners would be more rounded. (They're very square at the moment!) And as you can see the color of them looks like poo against the island.

1. What do you think of the width of the corners? I think they could be slightly wider. These are 1 1/4" width on each side. They were originally 1 1/2" and I thought they looked too beefy but this was before they were cut so I could see them flat against the island.

2. Will the plinth block things look ok? I can't run the base the whole way around and have the corner sit on top. It would stick out too far. Reason for the plinth thing I suppose.

It would help if I had the plinth block painted to see.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

3. Then I've seen examples like this..........however, I was hoping to use the left over base moulding I already have that matches the rest in my house.

I guess honestly ......... I'm mainly looking for feedback on the corner pieces and I'd like to know if you think the transition is going to look odd once done.

There's these skinny pieces of moulding people add but that's going to be one more piece of wood to try and match, not to mention I think the top of the base is too skinny to try and sit something on. It would stick out over if that makes sense.

{{!gwi}}

My mind is pretty much set on the black base and I'm not painting the island at this point.

Thanks!

Comments (7)