SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_1401217

Generally Speaking on Cabinets To the Ceiling / Your thoughts?

User
10 years ago

Judging from current posts I know that I'm among many remodeling who feel they should consider cabinets to the ceiling to bring their kitchen up to date.

But when I thnk of kitchens I've "known" through nearly 6 decades, most have not had cabs to the ceiling. My sister's does - she has repainted original custom cabs in a 100+ yr house. It's a charming but small, closed off kitchen & I'm sure they were constructed to get the most vertical storage possible.

Then there was the kitchen in my childhood home, those of my aunts, and the one in our first home that all had 30" or so cabs that went to the soffit. Later, many of our friends bought larger 2nd homes with high vaulted and varied ceiling heights & they tended to do staggered cabs. Most whose traditional 2nd homes, like mine, with 8' or 9' ceilings have 30" cabs in the mid to high level price range.

I see practically none of this cabinetry in blogs and current design magazines. They all show to the ceiling (or open shelves, which is a whole other topic..). What is ironic is that many of the showcased homes have a walk-in or at least closet sized pantry - not to mention loads of efficient built-in storage cabinetry. There doesn't seem to be a need for the to-ceiling cabs except for the look.

I get that they read custom/aspirational because they have to be made and installed to fit rooms that are not usually "square," I do like the idea of not having to clean over the cabinet tops. But I also remember designers making arguments to remove soffits to GET that gap over your cabs to "open your space."

I like the to-ceiling look but I wonder if it's here to stay (not forever, but 10 yrs..) There is no way I'm going to use the upper cabs regularly and sense the expense of new cabinets may be a waste. However, I don't want to be shortsighted with this remodel and go through all the work to have a kitchen many would see as outdated upon completion.

Would love to know how KD's see this - a trend we can pass on or something people with nice, but not exclusive homes, should invest in?

Comments (29)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath