SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webkat5

A Bit about Parvo....

webkat5
17 years ago

There seems to be quite a few questions concerning Parvo and the vaccines to prevent it.

I have been in dog rescue for the past nine years and after working very closely with my vet, have learned this:

I always recommend the following vaccination method on larger mixed breed puppies (although it is more important with Rotties and Dobies).

Here is the philosophy behind it, first....

The puppy can have what is called passive immunity (that which is borrowed from it's mother during nursing). Since that immunity is already there, the puppy's body can actually disregard the vaccination "challenge" that we introduce. The body will simply ignore it....

Now as the puppy gets older this passive immunity wears off and then it won't be protected from either the mother's immunity or our artificially introduced methods. The time that the puppy's passive immunity wears off is indeterminate (and different for each puppy), but to be on the safe side, we recommend the last shots to be after the 16th week (somewhere between the 16th and 20th) week as this would be the outside of the time frame where the passive immunity would be gone (depleted from their system), thereby certainly allowing and responding to the artificial "challenge" we introduce.

It is basic insurance for immunity.

Rounds of shots are necessary because we never know exactly when the passive immunity will wear off and somewhere in there we will catch it...If the timing isn't right and the artifical vaccination doesn't take, then there is hopefully still sufficient passive immunity to carry it through another two weeks or so.....does that make sense??

One thing I would recommend, though, is to be very cautious about letting him spend time around other dogs/puppies (ie.. at a large Petstore where multiple dogs/puppies have passed through) until after his last vaccs. There could be a period of time until his last vaccs that the artificial did not take and then passive immunity wears off and this would be a brief period where he is completely defensless against diseases.

BTW...the Parvo virus can live for at least 2 years out of a host (in the ground or elsewhere)....pretty scary.

Be wary of places where they do pet adoptions, especially....

And, yes, if you are wondering, I am a VERY over-protective foster mom...but hey...better safe than sorry...

I have seen both Distemper and Parvo in action, as well as a variety of other mystery diseases....I do not wish it on ANYONE...

Comments (6)