SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sundance510

X-post: Vote please! Flooring indecision...

sundance510
10 years ago

Wasn't sure where to put this, so trying a few different forums.
As some of you already know, we are about to close on our first house and will be having new flooring installed before we move in. We have chosen a medium brown, high quality laminate (we're on a slab). We were originally planning to run the laminate from the living room, through the hall and into the kitchen. However, after reading a lot of different posts on this forum about mixed results with laminate in the kitchen, I have decided to leave the Congoleum down that is currently in the kitchen and in great shape. The bedrooms currently have carpet.
The pictures below are looking from the kitchen (at the back of the house) and up the hall to the living room (you can barely see the front door). The doorway you see to the right is a bedroom that we will be using as an office. On the left is another short hall with the master and another bedroom/bath.

Problem #1: DH thinks that having 3 different types of flooring (laminate, congoleum and carpet) in such a small space won't look that great. I don't think it really matters.

Problem #2: I would really like to have the laminate in the bedroom that will be used as an office. I would like to keep the carpet in the other two bedrooms that will be used as bedrooms. We will probably replace the builder basic carpet in those bedrooms in about a year. But I worry that the weird mix will hurt resale later on... in about 7 years.

So the vote:
Option 1: Only put laminate in living room and hallway.

Option 2: Put laminate in living room, hallway and office bedroom.

Option 3: Put the laminate in the living room, hallway and all bedrooms.

Thanks!!

Comments (10)