SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crcurrie

Who fixes antique (1940s) sink faucets??

crcurrie
13 years ago

I'm in a bit of a bind. Bought a 1940s (American) Standard console sink at a salvage yard to renovate a bathroom needed for a room rental in our house (to earn income since I've been unemployed). Obviously, couldn't afford to spend much.

Unfortunately, the sink leaked (no surprise, right?). I didn't think it would be a big deal to repair, but the plumber I hired to do the work had the hardest time finding a drain gasket, and when he finally fixed it, a second leak opened up in back of the sink where the water line entered the spout.

He says it's almost impossible to fix these old sinks and he's not going to do any more disassembly, since he claims it will only cause more problems. He says I should send it away to an antique sink restoration company.

I can't afford to do that. Is this such a difficult repair, or is my plumber just not comfortable with old plumbing fixtures? The guy at the salvage yard said that a plumber who's used to working with old sinks would be able to make any necessary repairs.

I have a tenant scheduled to move in next week. Can't afford to buy a new sink. Any suggestions of what to do?? Are these gaskets impossible to find, and how would I go about finding a local plumber who can do this work? (I'm near Washington, D.C.)

Comments (7)