SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
b4wine

My Family's Christmas Cookie Tradition

beth4
13 years ago

Since 1945, my mother has baked the old-fashioned cut-out Christmas cookies. For nearly 20 years, until my parents moved overseas, my mom and her aunt spent a long day making cookies each December. My mom baked and her aunt (an artist) decorated the cookies, and every year they made/decorated over 1,500 cookies. When my parents moved overseas, my mom continued the tradition, but she made and decorated the cookies...and made far fewer!

When I grew up, my mom would save the cookie baking and decorating until I came home for Christmas, and then we'd do that together -- she continued the baking, and I assumed the decorating responsibility (although my talent paled compared to the artistic abilities of my great aunt!). And that continued until this year when my 86 year old mother announced that her spirit was willing, but her body just couldn't handle a long day in the kitchen making cookies. So, we moved the cookie making to my house (I live close to my parents), and for the first time in 65 years, my mother did NOT bake the Christmas cookies. I baked, and she decorated the cookies.

This year, we made over 300 cookies, and here are the photos I took of the cookies while they were drying. They are a lot of work to make, admittedly, but they look so pretty on a plate, and taste good, too, so that they're very much worth the effort.

Here are all of the cookies....Unfortunately, the old tablecloth upon which they're drying has a pattern, so these won't show up as well as they should.

Here are the angels which are so pretty...but their color blends in with the tablecloth, so you'll have to look closely.

We use the same cookie cutter to make holly and poinsettas --- we just decorate them differently.

I love these reindeer --- they are so cute, and the children love them, too.

And, these are the blue birds of happiness.....which blend in with the tablecloth with the same color of blue

And this is our Christmas cookie tradition that we just can't let go. Hope you enjoyed the photos....I'd share a cookie with all of you if we were closer, in appreciation for the ideas and suggestions you've shared with me this year!

Comments (14)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County