SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
criticalmass048

Cat urinating in food bowl

criticalmass048
15 years ago

We have 5 cats (I have to get used to saying that, since the 6th just passed away last month). Our youngest, Munchkin, has been acting out.

I would say, about every six months or so for the past two years, Munchkin likes to jump into mommy & daddy's bed, "dig" around in the blanket, and pee. That has happened three times so far, all in the past.

Last month, as I stated, one of our cats passed away. We went away the weekend after that. When we came home, we found that the food in the bowl was clumped together, and smelled like urine. Fortunately, it looked like none of the others ate it.

This past weekend, we came home Sunday night, and found some turds on the rug outside the litter-closet. It's actually a spare closet that I rigged with electricity, and contains two automatic boxes and an air-purifier, with a cat-door so that they have privacy. Anyway, the boxes were not dirty, so that could not be used as an excuse.

Early Tuesday morning, I was in work, and my wife was still asleep. She felt Munchkin "digging" around in the blanket again. She shooed him off the bed, and he promptly went to the food bowl and took care of business again.

When he does this, we begin "toiletting" him, by putting him in the litter box and trying to get him to go. Sometimes he will go, but he will make a small effort to get out of the box first. When he realizes he can't get away easily, he will turn around and do his business.

I think this is a behavioral thing, and he's upset when we go away, and this latest rendition is because our Gizmo (his main playmate besides his sister) is gone. My wife thinks is might be a urinary infection, and he's holding it in because he's afraid it will hurt, and then when he can't hold it any longer, he just goes wherever.

Since my vet is closed until Thursday anyway, I thought I would check in for some opinions. Thanks!

Comments (2)