SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caflowerluver

DH's Linzertorte and Dad's fudge recipe for those who asked.

caflowerluver
15 years ago

I was asked for these recipes on 2 different posts but thought it would be best to make it a new post so easier to find. Enjoy.

Clare

This Linzertorte recipe has been in DH's family for over 100 years. DH got this recipe from his grandmother who came as an adult from Germany in the 1930's. She lived to be 97 and was still making it right up till the end. I think some things got changed over the years from the original German version. I believe the original used kirsch or cherry brandy but later got changed to rum. I guess that was cheaper and easier to get here. And the nuts got changed from hazelnuts to walnuts, probably for the same reason. It always had raspberry preserves but some of the family make it with apricot, currant, or blackberry.

Linzertorte

Dry ingredients, sift together:

2 cups sifted all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

2 tablespoon baking cocoa

1 tablespoon baking powder

Pinch of salt

Cream together in another bowl:

1 stick butter softened (1/2 cup)

1 cup white sugar

Then add 1 large beaten egg and mix well. Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture.

Add liquids until proper dough like consistency.

2 tablespoons Rum

1 tablespoon milk or more depending on how it feels.

Mix in 1/2 cup of nuts last and work dough with your hands until smooth. Chill well for a couple of hours or overnight.

Divide dough in half. Roll out one half until 1/4 inch thick and place in 9" round pan making a 1" edge around the side.

Spread 1 cup preserves over the top.

Roll out other ball and cut into 1/2" strips and place on the cake in lattice pattern. Place one long strip along side of pan, over other strips to seal.

Bake in preheated 350F degree oven for 45 to 50 minutes. Let sit overnight before serving.

My Dad got this recipe from Hershey's Cookbook from 1934. He use to make this Christmas eve and put outside, covered, in the unheated garage to harden over night. I always got to eat the test balls because I was the only helper. We would have to wait till after Christmas dinner to get a piece. He use to make a double batch because with 7 people, one batch wouldn't last beyond one day. He used black walnuts for the nuts. This is how it was written in the cookbook, which I have.

Dad's Chocolate Fudge

2 1/4 cupfuls granulated sugar

1 cupful milk

3 squares Hershey's Baking Chocolate

1 tablespoonful light corn syrup

2 tablespoonfuls butter

1 teaspoonful vanilla

1/2 cupful chopped nutmeats

Combine sugar, milk, the baking chocolate, broken into small pieces, and the corn syrup in a heavy saucepan (3 quart). Place over medium heat and stir gently till baking chocolate is melted, then cook with very little stirring to soft-ball stage (234F). Remove from the fire; add butter and vanilla. Cool, undisturbed, to lukewarm (110F). Beat vigorously until fudge thickens and starts to lose its gloss; add nuts and quickly pour into a buttered 9x9x1 3/4 inch pan. Set aside to cool.

Comments (2)