SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
acorn_gw

Cat shot by pellet gun

acorn
15 years ago

Sunday afternoon I went to the feed store, where I work to check on and feed and water the animals there. We have six semi-wild kittens and I wanted to spend some time with them. When I arrive I saw Swestie, a little orange feed store cat, trying to get in the store. I called her name, when she faced me blood was pouring out of her eye socket, nose and mouth. I thought she had been hit by a car. I grabbed a carrier and brought her home with me. When I calmed down I realized if she had her head run over she would be dead. Our vet was out of town, I knew that because I take care of his horses when he is gone. I knew he would be back on Tuesday. I made her a bed in a large cat carrier and put her by the wood stove. I propped her up so she wouldn't drown in her blood. She was shot through her right eye I felt the pellet in the left side of her neck.

Tuesday the vet was able to see her. He took an x-ray with dye to see what damage was done. He removed the pellet and sutureed the hole. Cleaned the flesh in her eye, he would have sewn her inner lid over the hole in her eye but her eye lid was too damanged to do that. Gave her a shot of penicillin and a shot of Metacam. Sent home eye oinment, Clavamox,electrolites,ensure for cats,Oral Metacam. For all that he charged me $200.36.

I am not taking her back to the feed store she is now retired to be a house cat in my house. Right now I am keeping her in a 90-120 lb dog crate with a bed, food and water and litterbox. This morning she explored the livingroom she is doing quite well since she has never been in a house. My other cats aren't happy but they will adapt and they smelled her on me for the last four years.

Comments (14)