SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
workingmomx3

Sudden loss of water pressure with Kinetico

workingmomx3
10 years ago

We had a complete loss of water pressure with our Kinetico water softener. It was so complete and sudden that we checked with the neighbors thinking there must have been a water main break. No one else was impacted, so we checked our outside water (bypassed) and there was no loss of pressure.

Softener salt was added and a a new sediment filter were installed less than 3 weeks prior. I replaced the filter (it looked like it had been there for months - nasty looking) and I poured the water from the filter into a clear bowl - full of suspended solids.

Our Kinetico rep said that was what they always looked like after a few days use.

After he inspected the system, he said we needed to replace the resin bed ($150 + trip charge) - it had been degraded by the chlorine added to our water. The system was installed February 2008. At first they recommended a dechlorinator, but then they decided that we didn't need it so one was not installed. Now they want to add one at $875.

I thought the loss in water pressure would be gradual. Is it typical to have a complete loss of pressure almost instantaneously?

How long do the resin beds typically last?

We don't intend to stay in this house much longer than 5 more years. We don't plan to put the dechlorinator in.

Comments (4)