SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rudybird_gw

Ripped off by plumber? - Dripping shower faucet

RudyBird
11 years ago

Hi! I was wondering if I got ripped off by the plumber. Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to provide some background!

We had a leak from our Delta shower faucet in our master bathroom. The drip was pretty steady - I�m guessing about a gallon a day based on how much was caught in the bucket throughout the day.

We are first time homeowners and we�re trying to learn how to do things ourselves. We did some research online, determined it was the cartridge, and purchased one at the local hardware store for about $40. Unfortunately, the hex screw on the handle was stripped and we weren�t able to get it off. Delta customer service said to drill it off and they sent a new handle for free.

When my husband and his friend tried to drill off the handle, it wouldn�t budge. They were also having difficulties turning off the water to the house. My husband decided it was time to call a plumber.

I was the one who was home during the repair since I�m a stay at home mom. The plumber originally quoted $346 but he agreed to do it for $173 if we supplied the cartridge. He had some difficulty drilling through the handle and eventually had to break it off. It took him more than an hour to fix it, probably closer to an hour in a half. Is $173 a reasonable charge? My husband thinks we got ripped off since we provided the part. We live in Indianapolis but I�m not sure what the going rate for plumbing repair is here.

What do you think? Thanks!

Comments (5)