SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cberhomengarden

Dishwasher drain hose - where would you put it?

cberhomengarden
13 years ago

Cross post with Kitchen forum...

We are redoing our kitchen and have an L-shaped design. It is a small space, so to include the dishwasher, it is not right next to the sink, but on the other side of the L. The sink is centered on the long side of the L, then to the left there's a 9 inch spice pullout, a 36 inch super susan, then on the small side of the L is a 18 inch cabinet, and then the dishwasher. Neighbors (whose house is identical, and whose kitchen design I copied) had water intake snaked from sink to the dishwasher behind the cabinets. They then drained the dishwasher down through the floor to drain pipes in a bathroom below in the basement.

Our contractor feels it's better to snake the dishwasher drain all the way back around the L to the sink drain. This would mean drilling holes through every cabinet along the way, and an 8 foot dishwasher drain hose. When I mentioned how it was handled next door, the contractor disagreed.

What are your opinions? Where would you drain the dishwasher, through the floor to a basement bathroom drain pipe, or snaked around the cabinets back to the kitchen sink?

I hope my description of the issue was clear. Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks in advance for any ideas and advice!

Comments (9)