SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cheri127_gw

Can a stripe be used on this chair? (long)

cheri127
14 years ago

We just finished a long and difficult kitchen remodel that spilled into the dining room and living room. I'm so burnt out, tired of hemorrhaging money and making decisions that I have to live with for a long time that it's just not fun anymore. But...I really need to get this done before DH totally loses it. I know I don't contribute here since I don't have much experience or confidence as a decorator so I feel badly for asking but I could sure use some advice right now.

Our living room used to have 3 zones, the piano, the seating area and the library. We got rid of the piano and decided the library table is too big for the space so that's going too and instead we'll have three seating areas. One in the center of the room, one in the library and one at the other end. To do this I have to buy three new chairs and a new smaller table. It's shocking how fast things are adding up so I'm trying to keep upholstery fabrics reasonable while I splurge on pillows. OK, so now I'm rambling. I have many questions but the one that is most pressing is this...

The two chairs I want are gorgeous and comfortable, and will go opposite the sofa. They're expensive but I found a great, cheap and fun fabric for them. The problem is that the fabric is a bold stripe and the chair has a diamond shape wood pattern on the back and I'm worried this will look too busy as it cuts through the stripe. This matters because the backs of the chairs face the hall and the dining room. I have a back up fabric but it's expensive even with a 40% discount. Also, it's very plain and safe (but still quite nice) however, it fits in well with the style we've always chosen. I'm trying to break the mold and get a little funky but am terrified I'll get it all wrong. I'd really appreciate whatever opinions/advice offered on this. TIA.

The chair

The fabrics: the green fabric in the middle is for pillows. The top left is the expensive B Berger, the bottom left is a possibility and the stripe is right. You can't tell from the pic but the texture is like a gross grain ribbon and the narrow green stripe is satin so it's can be dressy. The background gold is the sofa.

Comments (10)