SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
azzalea_gw

Question about Cooking with Alcohol

azzalea
15 years ago

I was wondering if you do/don't? When?

And if you don't want to use alcohol in cooking, what do you do for extracts?--they're actually HIGHER in alcohol than many liqueurs.

While I don't drink very often, because I don't like the taste of most alcoholic beverages, I do use wines, liqueurs, etc in cooking. I've never particularly worried about my dd eating my food, when she was little (one year, when she was 10, she made a dessert with strawberry liqueur in it for the state fair--I got some comments about a child cooking with alcohol, BUT her recipe was one of the 10 selected for the Grand Competition that year).

Then, if someone is ethically opposed to alcohol in food, what about the fact that extracts are alcohol-based. My Almond extract states it's 30% alcohol, I make my vanilla with 80% proof vodka, so that's 40%. The bottle of Kamora I have in my kitchen states it's only 20% alcohol.

Generally, I figure, with most extracts, wines, liqueurs, they're used in such small amounts that there's little alcohol in a single serving, AND if the recipe is cooked, most of it evaporates, anyway.

The one exception I make is when a particular friend is coming over to eat. He's a recovering alcoholic, and doesn't even want any alcoholic ingredients in his food, and of course, I respect that.

Just wondered about others take on cooking with alcoholic ingredients (including extracts)

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz