SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Can a spayed cat relactate??

alisande
17 years ago

In my continuing saga of Annie (calico, spayed a couple of weeks ago) and Pogo (her son, black, six months old, about to be neutered today), yesterday they were curled up in Pogo's bedÂnursing!

A happier nursing couple you could not imagine...he kneading and sucking, she grooming him. Their purrs could be heard ten feet away. As for me, I was stunnned into silence. After a while I started worrying about her incision, so I removed Pogo. I had to break the suction with my finger.

It may well be significant that Annie was pregant when she was spayed. I'm guessing she may still have some prolactin, or the feline version thereof, circulating in her system. I'll ask the vet about it when I take Pogo in this morning.

None of my previous cats were ever pregnant, so this is new to me. When I was a (human) breastfeeding advisor I remember reading about adoptive mothers managing to produce some milk through breast stimulation alone. I hope Annie doesn't start making milk again...that's all the encouragement Pogo needs! Is there any harm in him using Annie as a pacifier? I don't know how I could keep them apart at this point, although he'll be confined to my bedroom for a week or so after the neutering. Do you think he'll stop being such a "breast man" after he's neutered? :-)

Never a dull moment....

Thanks!

Susan

Comments (7)