SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
livvysmom

Dealing with ignorance re spaying/neutering

livvysmom
16 years ago

I was buying food at Petsmart and stopped in to see the rescue kitties. They were all kittens and were going crazy over the feather toy I was using with them. A teenage girl came in and we began to talk.

She mentioned that one of the kittens looked just like her cat did when she found it in a park. Then she said her cat had kittens and none of them looked anything like eachother, blah blah blah. I remarked how amazing it is that siblings can look so different. Then she says her cat is pregnant again.

So, I say, how come you didn't have her spayed? She said that cat usually goes outside but they decided her keep her inside "so she wouldn't get pregnant again." But... you guessed it, she got out. Then she says "I can't believe that no one has adopted these kittens, they are all so cute." So, I tried to tell her that there are way more kittens in the rescue than available homes but I don't think she got it.

I did ask her what she did with the kittens -- a few went to a pet store (and got bought right away) and they gave the others away. Then she said "I don't know what we are going to do with these new ones."

Ugh -- it makes me so mad. I can see one "accident" (maybe the cat even was pregnant when they found her) -- but twice??? The store is in a very nice area where you would think people would be smart enough (and able to afford) to spay/neuter their pets.

PS: that is the second time I have had a conversation with someone while looking at the rescue cats and they have told me their cat had kittens.

Comments (8)