SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Neutering?

Oakley
12 years ago

First, I'll be gone this evening through late tomorrow, so if I'm not here to reply, that's why.

Update on Boone dog. We just adore him, and vice versa. We exposed him to our almost 3 year old DGS and Boone was so gentle with him. Baby steps.

We are debating about whether or not to neuter him. We've always spayed and neutered, but we're stumped on neutering Boone.

I've done all the research and the only reason we wouldn't neuter him at this age (about a year old) is because the benefits seem to come if you neuter dogs at 6 mos, especially behavirol (sp.)

The last male dog we had lived to be 16, never sprayed in the house when he came in during cold weather. We didn't neuter him.

But here's the thing I want to know. My female dog, Grace, is spayed. She's very posessive of me, but I think it's easing on her part since she's around our granddogs and has no problem with them, but they're tiny dogs. She's big.

What are the odds of a male (neutered or not) and a female fighting? I've had two horrific experiences in the past with big fighting dogs. Two females, and two males. We've never had a male and female dog until now.

Boone's a happy outside dog (we live in the country) but he will come inside on those cold days.

He and Grace sniff each other through the fence all the time, no growling at all from either of them.

Thoughts? Oh, and have they come up with something besides putting those huge neck shields on male dogs after surgery? That alone wants me to say NO. lol

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County