SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harmonybear

Puppy with sick stomach

harmonybear
16 years ago

We just brought home a 9-week old bichon/poodle puppy three days ago. We took her to the vet the next day, and everything checked out fine there. Aside from the vet's office, she has not been anywhere else where other dogs frequent. She goes out in our backyard, and we do not let her out of our arms if we must bring her out with us.

Yesterday, I went to the grocery store and left her at home for appx. thirty minutes. She became very anxious about this and vomited up her food at some point while I was gone. The next 8 hours she was listless and wouldn't eat. Now I'm not sure it was a good idea, but I kept trying to force feed her.

Around 6 last night, we bought a high calorie vitamin supplement (something between a paste and a liquid that we put on her tongue) that we were told would help keep her blood sugar up while she was sick, and we gave the proper amount to her. She instantly perked up, and started eating her food. I chalked it up to too much excitement and stress, and wasn't too worried - especially since her stools have been solid (although soft).

However, this morning she vomited twice right as she woke up (bile this time), and it seems the whole cycle is starting over again. She won't eat and just wants to sleep. Should I be worried? Or is she just reacting to eating new food on an upset stomach? Will fluids and the calorie supplement be a sufficient diet for the next day or so?

Comments (7)