SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cindyandmocha

timmy didn't fall into the well... but....

cindyandmocha
13 years ago

Rusty was a really cool dog this weekend.

Rusty is a 13 yr old belgian malinois adopted at 3 yrs old. One of my dogs, Mocha (11 yrs old now) has epilepsy and has seizures now and then. He is on medication for that. He sometimes has seizures every 2 or 3 months now.

Yesterday morning (around 4 am) I went to the bathroom. I was up waaaay too late. I heard a thumping as I was taking off my makeup etc... and thought, "what the hell?? nahh... its nothing".

When suddenly Ginger (also 11 yrs old) and Rusty come running into the bathroom on the other side of the house where I was. Rusty begins to "cry". You know... that whimpering whiney cry that dogs sometimes do when they are trying to alarm you.

So I went to check the den on the other side of the house, and sure enough, Mocha was having a grand mal seizure. I was actually surprised that Rusty came to tell me about this. He's not my smartest dog honestly. He does think he is beta though (next to me as alpha), but he really is not the smartest dog on the planet.

I was appreciative.. and more than a little surprised at Rusty's initiative. I did the procedures I do when Mocha has a seizure, ice packs etc.. And I was grateful to Rusty for letting me know. Man, he totally alerted me to a problem.

Man, dogs amaze me... and Rusty truly amazed me. He made sure I knew something "was wrong". I've always sort of thought of Rusty as my "forrest gump" dog. Not my brightest, but very submissive and sweet. But this morning, he was also my alarm. He KNEW something was wrong and let me know about it. I am totally rethinking what I thought about Rusty's intelligence.

Dogs are amazing creatures.

Comments (9)