SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19703661

Hot water heater leak. HELP!

User
15 years ago

Our hot water heater will be 5 years old in the fall. Long story short hubby drained some water out of it this morning into a bowl to fill the ejector pit to make sure the pump was working.

The drain bib on the water heater is now dripping, I counted one drip per second. Hubby had to go to work, I put a hose on it and put the other end of the hose into the ejector pit. Between the condensor from the A/C being turned on this morning for the first time (which is why he tested) this season and the drip, the ejector pump was running constantly as was the water heater.

Hubbies idea, I fixed it for the day by screwing a hand held water sprinkler on the water heater drain spigot. Just like your garden hose, if you don't pull the trigger, water doesn't come out and stays in the hose even if you leave the spigot on. It is a temporary fix until morning, I have been able to check it a few times today and it looks strange but the bowl under it is still dry.

My question, Is this drain faucet like most faucets? There is a nut on top of it. If you remove that nut, after shutting off and draining of course. Are there washers under there? Little 103 pound me, I put adjustable pliers on that nut and tightened it, it slowed the leak a little, that makes me think there is a washer in it.

Anyone know for sure?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH