SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chitowngc

New to Well Water-Need Info

chitowngc
15 years ago

Hello all!! Great site, I've been lurking and getting lots of info. Thank you all. Now for my issues. Just bought a house that is on well and septic. I've been spoiled by Chicago Lake Michigan water. The house we purchased was built in '78. It has a Culligan Water Softener. The house has been vacant since last year. We have 3 kids and a 4th on the way. Plus my mom will be with us. So, we'll have 3 adults and 4 children. I need a GOOD system. I want the best for the kids.

We had someone come out from a local company. He did a hardness test which came out to 27-28?? It also has a lot of rust color to the water. Plus, there is a iron/metallic smell. He also said "iron bacteria" is very common in our area. The water now sux! The first guy said we should put a chlorination system, plus charcoal filter, plus LARGE capacity softener. I have another company coming out Wed. to see what they say. He also said my 3/4" line coming in is probably not large enough for our household. I have a pump & well company coming out Wed as well to see about increasing the GPM.

1) Has anyone used/heard of.... http://THEWELLGURU.COM/default.php He seems like he knows his stuff.. but i'm an amature.

2) I've read about shock chlorinating the well. Can I get the water rid of bacteria till my new system is installed? My mom will be moving in this weekend, and I want the water as best as possible. If there is "iron bacteria", will the chlorination remove this?

3) How do I get the existing softener going? I never saw the previous owners, and I have no manuals.

4) Will shocking the well and using the existing softener help with the water till I install a new system?

Thank you all...

Comments (3)