SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

made Shish kebabs for the first time

vacuumfreak
12 years ago

OK, so I haven't cooked anhything in a while, but got a craving for shish kebabs. I used chicken, pork, apple, potato, sweet potato, and red, green, and yellow peppers. Oh yeah, and carrots. I bought a pack of 100 bamboo skewers at Publix. They were great, but I did stab a couple holes in my hand and bled like a stuck pig... then had to be careful to not let the raw meat touch the wounds (yes, there was more than one!).

I don't have a grill since I live in an apartment, but the broiler drawer works very much like a gas grill, as long as I don't mind sitting on the floor to manipulate the food. I brushed some Kikoman Teriyaki sauce on with a silicone brush and then made peanut sauce to dip them in (natural chunky peanut butter, salt, sugar, red pepper, curry powder, and coconut milk). The recipe said to boil the concoction on the stove for a period of time, but I just threw it in the microwave for a few minutes to dissolve the sugar. Too long actually, I overcooked it (messed up the texture), but still, it was very good! I can finally say that I ate some vegetables instead of not eating them at all or juicing them! I can't wait to try pineapple and beef and other fun combinations.

I got sick of threading the skewers after a while, so the last few were meat only! They are better than the veggie ones!

I read that if you put olive oil on the skewers before cooking, they won't scorch. I got a Misto olive oil sprayer for Christmas (love it!) and I soaked those things with olive oil first and they still scorched, so that's hogwash!

The pictures are from my Android phone because the last time I made a vacuum video for my Youtube channel, I droped the Nikon right on the vacuum I was demonstrating and it broke into a million pieces and the lens few across the room and I threw the whole mess in the trash. I never liked that camera anyway!

Anyway, here are some pics :o) Man it was good!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations