SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cowhorncreek

Lindac, help, please with your Italian Bread

I am going to make your bread and am a bit confused about the amount of water. For making the sponge, using 1 1/2 cups water is stated, which is the amount of water listed in the ingredients. However, in the second paragraph of instructions, it is stated to use "another 1/2 cup of lukewarm water." So that means I will use a total of 2 cups water? Just want to make sure I am interpreting this correctly. TIA.

Italian Bread by Lindac at GardenWeb

4 cups bread flour (approximatly)

2 tsps salt

2 envelopes yeast

2 T olive oil

1 1/2 cups water

Make a sponge,

Mix 1 cup flour with 2 envelopes of yeast

Add 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water

Whisk until there are no lumps.

Let it sit in a warm spot for about half an hour ( I sit it into my microwave...out of harm's way)

It should get bubbley...if not wait longer.

Stir in another half cup of lukewarm water and a cup of flour mixed with 2 tsps of salt

And stir in 2 T olive oil. And keep adding flour, stir until it can be kneaded and turn out onto a floured board and knead 7 to 10 minutes adding flour as needed to keep it from sticking....more is not better!

Place into bowl, cover and allow to rise until double, turn out onto your board and flatten, return to the bowl and allow to rise again until almost double.

Turn out onto a board, divide into 2 pieces, beat one piece with the side of your hand until it's flat and all the air is out, roll up and shape into a loaf. Repeat with the other half of the dough.

Place on a cornmeal covered peel and allow to rise until almost double, while heating the oven to 425.

Toss a handfull of ice cubes into the oven and put your bread on to your baking sheet or stone

(which should be hot in the oven) and bake 35 to 45 minutes until golden.

Linda C

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations