SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neeter3148_gw

Soapstone belong in a modern kitchen?

neeter3148
16 years ago

We need help with out 'color' scheme. The problem is that we like WHITE cabinets mostly because I want a change from our dark cabinets and dark kitchen. And we like the modern/contemporary look. But we love soapstone for the look and functionality. We hate the look and feel of Granite. But does Soapstone belong in our scheme? All the pictures I've seen of kitchens with white cabinets and Soapstone (and marble) seems early 1900's... which are really beautiful but I don't think fit our style.

Here are some givens:

-We are putting white cabinets with Shaker style fronts... this is being custom built.

-We bought all white appliances.

-We LOVE soapstone.

-Here's the kicker: We live in a 70's ranch with a HUGE fireplace that is open to the kitchen so it is a presence.

-The perimeter along the longest wall will be Stainless Steel countertop. We love to cook and this is for functionality as well as look.

-The longest wall will have an induction cooktop against it with a Stainless steel chimney hood and two 5 feet windows flanking it. (all lower drawers for storage).

Our KD thinks that we need to offset the drama of the brick fireplace which is a part of the dining room which is next to the kitchen which is open concept. We want the island countertop to be soapstone which is where the cleanup area is (30in sink with two dishwashers). Which means that the island cabinets will have to be white or a light color.

-Option1: White or light color island with SStone countop and dark wood floor to offset the fireplace... but the dark wood floor will have to continue to the dining room ... then the floor will be too dark.

-Option2: Dark Espresso stained island cabinets with light Corian countertop... but we bought two white dishwashers which is going in the island. However, the dishwashers will be sort of facing away from the other rooms.

Oh another thing... we are thinking about varied lime green glass mosaic backsplash (which will only be about 5" high)

Thanks for reading this long post. Please help :-O

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio