SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
countrygirl217

Finished Rustic Modern Kitchen with Soapstone

countrygirl217
12 years ago

I want to start by saying THANK YOU GW community! This has been a wonderful source of information. I started lurking/occasionally posting two years ago when we were going to remodel our house at the time, then we found out we were moving so we didn�t do it then we bought our house now that we basically gut-remodeled the entire house, save the master bath. I am not sure how I have survived a whole house remodel, living like gypsies for four months in a new town with a 3 year old and 18 month old, but somehow I did and I give all the thanks to GW for helping me make the remodel simply spectacular.

Our original plans for our house were only to replace the carpet with wood and tie into the existing oak flooring that was in areas of the house. The oak ended up being terrible quality, unable to be refinished, and had extensive water damage that wasn�t apparent until the old owners vacated. So the project moved to replacing all flooring in the house to gorgeous wide plank walnut. Then the walnut started going down and the oak cabinets, which I had planned on keeping in the kitchen because they were custom good quality cabinets, looked extremely dated and the countertops were ugly, IMO. We found electrical issues (the house is in an area that codes are routinely broken). Somehow along the line we ended up with a whole house remodel, including 3 � bathrooms and a kitchen. I feel much better knowing what is behind my walls now! We are thrilled with the end product as well. The problems we encountered along the way mainly stemmed from the fact that we did not have a GC over the project and my husband ended up heading up the project. It was time consuming and stressful! Next time we�ll hire a GC, but there better not be a next time because this is our forever house!

The things I changed in the kitchen were mainly just cabinets and finishes. Luckily we had a Wolf wall microwave/oven combo and Wolf gas cooktop purchased within the last year from the seller. I replaced the DW and refrigerator (defective and history of causing water damage�not taking a chance on the walnut) and took the wall oven/microwave out of the corner cabinet to free up some space, which allowed me to replace the old 36" Sub Zero that was 16 years old to the 42" Sub Zero brand new. I also took out the "bar sink" because I didn�t feel like I needed a second sink, and it was in a bad location so if I was going to change the bar sink to a prep sink I�d have to re-plumb and move locations and I just couldn�t handle that at the time. I kept the cooktop in the island mainly because I couldn�t find a better spot for it on the wall without messing up the window corner and wall oven combo. Island cooktops aren�t my favorite, but I�m hoping it�ll grow on me. Other than those things, the layout is the same but I did make the island straight instead of the strange bad Feng Shui crooked island. I can�t imagine standing at an angle to cook on that island cooktop for 16 years. ACK!

Appliances:

DW: Bosch

Wine Fridge: Sub Zero

42" refrigerator: Sub Zero

Cooktop, wall oven/convection microwave: Wolf

Countertops: Soapstone

Sink: 36" Shaw Original single bowl, white

Faucet: Kohler Simplice in stainless

Perimeter Cabinets: Canyon Creek Cabinets out of Seattle, maple painted color-matched BM Cloud White with a liquorice glaze

Island Cabinets: Canyon Creek rustic alder taupe stain with liquorice glaze

Hardware: Top Knobs Aspen cup pulls, handles and knobs in medium bronze

Floors: Wide plank walnut consistent with entire house

Rugs: Dash and Albert Montana Stripe

Kitchen table: Antique store find stripped and refinished by a local craftsman

Kitchen chairs: Borkholder Windsor chairs bought unfinished and finished to match the table by local craftsman (not finished yet, so not shown)

Island counterstools: Palacek

Pendants: Hudson Valley Randolph

Chandelier: Hudson Valley Menlo Park

Paint color: BM matte in Bleeker Beige

{{gwi:1953415}}

{{gwi:1953416}}

{{gwi:1953419}}

{{gwi:1953420}}

{{gwi:1953421}}

Comments (39)