SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Wound care / fluid loss question

alisande
15 years ago

Wolfy, my 13-year-old Husky-Shepherd, has a wound on his throat. Hard to see it clearly, but it looks like a piece (about one square inch) of his hide is missing. I'm guessing he got attacked by a dog or wild animal, but this is just a guess.

As usual, no vet is available here on the weekend. I washed the wound gently with soap and water last night, and applied Neosporin. I left it uncovered overnight as it seemed to have stopped bleeding. But this morning I noticed the wound was oozing a little bit of blood and quite a lot of fluid, so I tied several thicknesses of cotton sheeting around his neck. I've changed this several times as it gets soaked through. I have towels on the dog beds, and they're getting wet, too. I'm concerned about all this fluid loss.

He ate all his dinner last night, and a couple of treats today. I'm about to feed them now, but I'm assuming he'll eat.

Whatever happened has him totally scared to go outside, poor guy. He wouldn't go for our usual walk this morning, but turned around and headed back to the house as soon as we reached the road. Since then I've just taken him out the back door on a long lead, and he hurries back as soon as he's finished. I feel bad for him.

Is there anything else I should be doing with the wound? Does it sound like he'll be okay until I can get him to the vet in the morning?

Thanks so much, as always.

Susan

Comments (5)