SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chris1044

Water softener

14 years ago

Much due to the lack of information/people trying to push sales, I'm forced to post this in yet another forum. ANY HELPFUL info is greatly appreciated, thanks in advanced!!

First of all, I need a softener for a 2.5 bath home I recently purchased. Plumbing is 3/4" CPVC, and I have not calculated my overall GPM flow rate. Water specs are:

Hardness 25-26 grain/gallon

Iron: 2ppm

No sulfur/iron bacteria

400 TDS (don't know units).

I was almost 100% on a 48k (1.5cu ft) fleck 7000 with SST-60 resin. I was also going to use a turbulator to help backwash the iron out, and set it to regen every 4 days...anyone see any issues with this? Recommendations??

I've been told you need a gravel underbed to properly backwash - any truth in this? And, more so, I've also been told a 1.5cu softener won't take all the hardness out if my SFR gpm is more than 12, but with 3/4" cpvc I can't see it being any higher.....

In short, I want a reliable and efficient softener that doesn't use a ton of salt....that's all. Over the last month or so I've done research and that's why I was going to go with a Fleck 7k...But there are some people who want to sell based off mis-information and argue with others that have me second guessing my choice.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Comments (13)