SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kokosnood

RO filter ( reverse osmosis ) ?

kokosnood
14 years ago

Hello,

I used to have an RO filter I used for making pure water for my aquarium. Recently I decided to install one for drinking water. Luckily I got one free on craigslist. I plan to replace the membrane, and postfilter.

Now the old RO unit I had didn't have a pressure tank. I just let it slowly fill a 5 gallon water jug. I had to watch to make sure I didn't waste good water, but I knew the approximate time it took to fill.

Also the old one had a "backflush" feature where I could apply back pressure to the filter and "clean" the membrane.

I currently have two "prefilters" already working as my drinking water filter connected to a standard drinking water faucet. One filter cartridge is foam and the other one carbon. I plan to use those as my prefilters with the RO unit.

Now to the questions:

1. Why can't I use my current drinking water faucet? The RO one is complicated with 3 tubes coming out and I don't like the look as much. I don't understand why it needs so many tubes just to dispense water.

2. Why doesn't the new RO unit include a backflush option? Does it need it?

3. What is the purpose of the "postfilter?" It seems like it should come out of the RO membrane pure enough...why one more filter?

4. The storage/pressure tank is new to me. It has an inflation nozzle, and a recommended pressure. Do I pump it full of air after I plumb it and turn the water on? Is there any way to clean the inside of one of those?

Thanks!

Comment (1)