SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pattiem93_gw

Bodica-Per your request

pattiem93
15 years ago

Bodica, thanks so much for your sweet words. I actually have been keeping a running slideshow of home pics so my best friend in NY can see what we're up to. We have 3 kids still at home (out of 6) and my parents also live with us. The budget is VERY tight, Just about everything in our home is old, vintage, repurposed, etc. I make all window treatments and accessories (pillows, etc) and I LOVE to shop CL, Ebay, thrift stores, tag sales, and "sidewalk sales"-otherwise known as bulk trash day! I am very sentimental about family and friends and my DH will tell you I never throw anything out and if I love it, I want to see it! I've done a lot of redesign and staging work and though I now work in another field, it's still my passion and I do as much as I can. My very favorite things to use are vintage textiles and linens, and I am known to my family as the china queen-I LOVE a beautiful table. My "style" may not be for everyone, but I hope you enjoy.

By the way, we JUST painted our bedroom and it's not put back together yet-no art or drapes up yet. We also just painted the living and dining room and haven't hung the dining room drapes yet. The one paisley panel you see hanging is just a piece of folded over fabric I was looking at for color. For the summer, I'll hang cream colored silk sheers both in the dining room and master bedroom. I also left out my DD's room. She's 15 and it's a bit of a mess right now-she's in there with 3 other girls working on a school project

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Home

Comments (26)

• parma42
    15 years ago

OMG, I'm speechless.

• DLM2000-GW
    15 years ago

um, me too.

***I've done a lot of redesign and staging work and though I now work in another field....***

What other field could you possibly work in???

• Related Discussions

Per Erin's request...my recipe

Q

Comments (1)
    That looks great. I will also buy a big red ripe tomato, cut in half, them scoop out inside and the seeds, leaving a layer of flesh under the skin. Then fill each half with a scoop of tuna salad. I got that from Rachael Ray about a year ago. It's light but tasty and full of nutrition.
    ...See More

Per request- August lotto block

Q

Comments (64)
    stitches- 3- received Rebecca, That is perfectly fine, this happens every month. People get busy and we all understand. Thank you for letting us know. Vicky vicky4x4- 2- here damascusannie -3 solstice98-3- received calliope -3- received bonnie_nmi -3 judylee59 -2- received geezerfolks -1- received polardream -3- received alabamajanet- 3
    ...See More

Per request, a few pics of My3dogs home interior

Q

Comments (206)
    You folks are almost making me cry! I just brought up my office spring/summer window treatments to press and put up, and these sweet comments will get me through the task of ironing the 10 panels! Of course, Riley, Rooney and Ginger are right here to help me. :-)
    ...See More

Jasdip, per your request

Q

Comments (12)
    Years ago, my ex-hubby and I had a neighbour who chained his dog outside year-round. His bowl of water was a block of ice, and little food. It broke my heart and I bought a bale of straw for him and we put it in his doghouse. There was nothing in his little doghouse for him to lay on or keep warm. He was so happy, jumping around in the straw. I asked the owner if I could take him for walks, and he let us a couple of times, then wouldn't anymore because we were being "too kind" to the dog. We didn't see the dog after a while, so I think he was killed. Just my thoughts though.
    ...See More
  • pattiem93
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL-you are very kind. I'm a personal trainer and nutritionist. Long story-I was diagnosed with a very aggressive cancer and basically was told I was terminal. 4 years later I am still here and am pretty passionate about helping others get healthy. But I love making houses into homes. And I love the challenge of doing it for little to no cost. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed the pics. I know that it's not for everyone, but I'm so happy when people feel good in our home

• sedeno77
    15 years ago

Pattie - you have a beautiful home and a great eye for arranging beautiful rooms. I hope you stay healthy and live a LONG time helping others.

• caramia
    15 years ago

Pattie, your home took my breath away. GORGEOUS! Could you share a few colors with us? What blue did you use?
    What about the dining room? Beautiful color.

I serve on a foundation for childhood cancer and know these last 4 years have been life changing for you. My prayers for a long and cancer free life.

• susan1208
    15 years ago

Pattie, truly extraordiany.....beautiful.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

Pattie, your home really takes my breath away. It's grand and gorgeous but also warm and welcoming, and it says a lot about you as a person that you were able to achieve all that. There's so much beauty there and you're very talented. I'm afraid I can barely sew a seam and you made all those gorgeous drapes and pillows. I hope you'll have many wonderful years with your family in your very special home.

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

I am glad bodica asked, your rooms are absolutely lovely. I want to take another look when i am not so sleepy. I am glad you are doing so well. I am an 11 yr BC survivor so I know a smidgen of how your life changes. I know a woman who had a similar diagnosis as you and was considered terminal and that was 13 years ago.

• susan209
    15 years ago

What a lovely home you have created for yourself and all of your loved ones, I can see your passion throughout. I am so glad that health wise you seem to be doing okay in the moment and hopefully you will continue to do so in the future. Keep up your good spirits and wishing you many healthy years ahead of you and for the sake of all of your loved ones. Seeing your photos was an absolute delight for the eyes I can assure you. Thanks so much.

• pattiem93
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh MY!! Thank you all so much. It is very flattering to hear such nice things from such a talented group of people. Ingrid, my husband is a carpenter and I'm a trainer. Our budget is stretched beyond the breaking point supporting so many people and I had to smile when I read the word "grand" -Thank you!! Honestly, most everything is done for little to no money.
    Caramia (love that name-I'm as Italian as you can get!), the blue in my bedroom wasa SW match to Restoration Hardware's Silver Sage. I stood at the counter and drove the poor girl crazy as I had her tweak it to make it just a touch more "blue". The SW store manager laughs when I go in-he says I'm good practice for their new associates! The living and dining room are SW Meadowlark mixed at 75 percent. I'm really liking it.
    Cooperbailey, mine was also BC-a rather rare type. I am always so happy to hear of survivors.
    Thank you all so much. What a lovely way to start the day

• Oakley
    15 years ago

Patti, I've only "known" one other person to be able to pull off what you did in a new home. I think it's more of a gift you all were born with. She had zero training.

I'm trying to do the same thing with my home and I had decided to keep a lot of the pictures off the walls when the reno is finished, but I think I've changed my mind!

Most of my treasures are from garage sales and hand me downs from my mother. And my MIL gave me intricate needle work for the past 15 years.

My style is like yours although I'm in a much smaller home, but what exactly is the name of the style? lol My son calls our home (lovingly) a "mutt" since it's a bit of everything. :)

I bet your family loves coming home. :)

• jjam
    15 years ago

I'm speechless too, and inspired. Thank you for reminding all of us that we CAN do it if we just make up our mind to get it done. Lovely in every way. I'm curious about the color in the office, too.

Best wishes for your continued good health.

• enailes
    15 years ago

Very gracious home, beautifully done.

• pattiem93
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all again-I'm truly flattered. Oakleyok, EVERYTHING here comes from garage sales and family hand-me-downs. And I am so jealous that you have a MIL who gives you needlework-it's become such a lost art. My grandmother got me started collecting many years ago, and when I see the intricate work I think of the girl who sat doing it and probably dreamimg and wondering about her future husband and family with every stitch. My husband's Irish grandmother was known in her area as the best lace maker-I only have one small piece because most of the family tossed these treasures through the years instead of passing them down-heartbreaking. I am fortunate to have my own grandmother's trousseau linens and "wedding night nightgown" which are all hand done cutwork and embroidery still bundled with her original ribbon. NONE of my aunts, uncles, or cousins had any interest-lucky me!
    Jjam, thank you for your kind words. The office color is SW Truepenny. It really isn't as "orange" IRL as it's looking on my monitor. I really love it and we did all the trim in that room in Jasper which is a blackish green. I thought my mother and my neighbor were going to have strokes at the idea that we were going to paint the lovely , modern, new construction white trim so dark as though it were "an old place". I took it as a compliment that I was achieving the feel I wanted!

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

STUNNED !!!!! Thank you pattiem93, What a pleasure that was! Is there a way to slow the slideshow? So much to appreciate too fast. Your Chinese rug, crystal and placements, silks & lace, tassels, art, colors, textures, you are astounding! What creative rich wine flows through your veins? I knew I wanted to see more and I'm so glad I asked. Your home is a priceless museum, in the very best most complementary sense of the word, collection of exquisite items coordinated in loving complimentary ways. I agree, things I love I want to see and live with all around me. Your home is so inviting and interesting, enveloping to see, feel and learn more, around each corner. It is so homey and comefie yet so rich and filled with story telling. Childeren must be mesmorized looking around. Thank you, I sincerely thank you from my whole heart, now please excuse me, I made fresh coffee and cream, and must watch again, and again, and again... lots to learn here.

• jlc712
    15 years ago

I think I want to come live with you. :) I love that this looks and feels like an historic family home, but is really new construction. Gorgeous home, paint, furniture, fabrics, art. Thank you for the peek!

• pattiem93
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You are all too much-very good for a tired girl's ego! I so appreciate your feedback. I always hope to achieve that "accumulated over time" feeling, but it's very difficult on a low (make that NO) dollar budget. I am fortunate to have a husband who has a gift for being able to create whatever I draw out. He has been quite patient with my never ending projects. He actually tells our friends who visit not to stand in one place too long or "she'll either paint you or hang something on you!" I just scored an end table for my living room on CL for 10 dollars! I hope it actually looks like the description the seller gave me-the pic is blurry. I'll be picking it up Saturday. My neighbor just shook her head when I told her-she says nothing in my house "matches" and she doesn't quite understand how I do that. She has a beautifully "done" home and a decorator who places every accessory. I simply cannot afford that. I picked up 2 buffet lamps someone donated to our local thrift shop and I need to work on the finish and I want to monogram the shades-I'll post before and afters.
    I've always dreamed of living in a historicold house, but it's never been in the cards. My husband grew up in a turn of the century Victorian and I WISH I could get my hands on that. New construction is hard for me. The high ceilings sometimes make it difficult to achieve any intimacy and the open-ness of some of these homes makes it hard to transition. I also happen to love having a couple of more "elegant" spaces. I think society is losing by allowing some of the niceties of entertaining to disappear. Don't get me wrong-I'm a mom of 6 and 5 of them are boys. We live a casual, sometimes rather rambunctious lifestyle. But still, I love to share a nice dinner on a lovely table with friends and family. I think every house (heck, every ROOM) should have a reading corner and kids should always have something "pretty" to look at and surround them. Thank you all so much

• jaybird
    15 years ago

Lovely, lovely!!! An important thing that you said was that kids need to learn to live with and appreciate beautiful things!! GOOD FOR YOU!! I have a lot of hand-me-downs, antiques, thrifted and repurposed items. I raised 3 kids among them, and it is now a joy to go to their homes and see them raising their children among the pretties!
    Your most important statement was that you are a survivor!! You go girl!! We are all behind you 110%!
    Thank you so much for posting your magnificent home!
    Hugs to you,
    Jaybird

• teacats
    15 years ago

GORGEOUS home!! Truly charming and very elegant!

You have a real gift for design and a trained eye for balancing colors, shapes and textures! And at excellent prices too! :) MY kind of treasure shopping! :)

Thank you so much for sharing your photos with us!! Your home should be in a magazine or book!

Stay healthy! :)

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• pattiem93
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Awwwww.. Thank you both! Jaybird, I NEVER removed an item when my children were little and I was able to take them anywhere and not worry about them touching. I have a client who paid a FORTUNE for a company to come in and babyproof his home (it looks like nobody lives there now) and whenever they take the kids (ages 4,6,and 7)to visit anyone, Mommy spends all her time chasing them around because they're so fascinated by things they never see and want to explore. Then again, a home is to be lived in- not to be a museum. Jan, you made my evening-thank you! I just spent an hour working on my thrift shop lamps for the dining room. If they end up the way I hope they do, it will be 5 dollars very well spent!

• postum
    15 years ago

Wow. I was sure yours was an older house, so I was really surprized when the construction photos showed up! I too thought of how marvelous it would be to grow up in a house like that. You've got some lucky kids. Thank you for inviting us all into your beautiful home.

• pattiem93
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Postum, I'm flattered. Thank YOU.

• levelyn42
    15 years ago

You have a wonderful home, I first looked at the slideshow, but was too fast for me to look at all of your rooms, so I viewed it again at the album so I could look at all your details. Is your living room and kitchen the same color as your Dining room Meadowlark? I like your brick in the kitchen, something I have been wanting to do but not sure how my little area would turn out. Thanks for sharing your home.
    Evelyn

• dreamgoddess
    15 years ago

What a beautiful home! Looking at your photos, there's so much love that shows in each room. I only wish I could come home every day to one even half as warm and welcoming!

• pattiem93
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you both. Levelyn42, the living and dining room are now both Meadowlark at 75 percent. The kitchen is SW Blonde. I really am happy with the brick. When the builder showed us the brick that was planned for the area, it was a very "new" looking dark red. I asked if we could have a distressed old, Southern brick. I felt like it would look more aged and fit better with our things-not so crisp and contemporary.

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

Oh my. I'm going to be "studying" this as the look/feel you have is very close to what I'd love to have (though our home is not anywhere near the scale of yours).