SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
medieval18

please recommend outdoor hose bib

medieval18
11 years ago

The old outdoor hose bib has a handle that is broken and the spout drips water. I have removed the hose bib packing stem and replaced the washer several times, but every few months the spout will start dripping again. When I replace the washer once again the old one is shreaded and I have to excessively tighten down the handleto the point it can't turn and the water still drips . I think the problem is either the stem and packing or maybe the faucet seat connection to the water pipe. Also if i turn on the water pressure high the whole pipe and faucet will vibrate. This is not a freeze proof faucet (no vaccum breaaker assembly) and it connects to the waterline in a vented crawl space the copper water line runs under the floor joists and through the wood sill on top the foundation wall to the hose bib on the otherside.

I live in Missouri in the transition zone where there can be occasional hard winter freezes so I am concerned about the hose bib or water pipe freezing and/or breaking. The hose bib dripping and accumulating moisture next to the foundation is not good either.

I plan on replacing the whole hose bib and would like to know what would be the best replacement that won't give me any problems in the future. Considering this involves welding and meeting plumbing codes I planned on hiring a profressional to do the job, it would be nice if someone could give me an estimate on the cost of the job as well.

I was reading about having a line stop and waste valve installed on the water line before the hose bib assembly so i could manually turn the water off under the house in the winter months to avoid any freezing issues. Would this be a good idea?

Any advice and recommendations on a new outdoor hose bib will be greatly appreicated.

Sincerly, Medieval18

Comments (8)