SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ohmmm_gw

T or no T for water supply to water heater

ohmmm_gw
13 years ago

Installing a water softener. House is on well water with a pressure tank. Electric water heater. House has never had a softener. House is 6 years old.

Do I need a T fitting for the water softener on the cold supply line to the water heater? I am thinking no.

The photos below show the lines currently. The main 1" supply is on the bottom left behind water heater. There is a T fitting there that runs the input line to the water filter.

The water filter has a shutoff valve on the top of the unit. When that is turned off, all cold water to house stops.

One person said to remove the filter so the water softener has enough flow when it backwashes.

In any case, the line into the water softener will either be direct from that T fitting on the supply or coming in from the out of the water filter.

The output line currently on the water filter runs into the wall. I am assuming there is already a T fitting behind the wall that I cannot see.

So my initial thought is to just put the output from the water softener to the current out line attached to the water filter.

So if the filter stays, cold water through the filter and to the softener and then back out to the line that runs into the wall behind water heater. And that should soften the water to both the water heater and cold water supply?

Am I on the right track here?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (3)