SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
freezetag

DIY groomers (or pros)

freezetag
15 years ago

I planned to groom our wheaten terrier myself, but had the groomer who works at my vet's office do it for the first time. I was surprised to find horizontal clipper marks on her sides and legs, so her fur looks sort of "choppy".

I have read that you must use very sharp clippers for wheatens, and that a blade that works fine on a dog with coarser fur (like a poodle) can leave tracks on dogs with soft fur (like cocker spaniels, wheatens, etc). Also found this info posted elsewhere:

"With a lower power motor you will have the blade cutting more slowly so if you pull thru the coat quickly- it will leave "steps" or "tracking". Another thing could be the clipper's moving parts being worn out- if the clipper is new you need to look at the manual or approach a sharpening co. to ask them how to service your particular model or just have them do it. Another possibility is that the blades you are using might be dull or the tension could be off- again- an honest sharpener could consult you on this."

When I shopped for clippers, I didn't find the fancy Andis and Oster clippers that most grooming sites recommend - the stores around here just stock very basic, low-end clippers. Obviously, I would rather spend less if basic clippers will do the job, but I don't want to buy basic $30 clippers, only to find that I have to upgrade to the $200 clippers.

Those of you who groom your dogs, what do you use? Would I regret buying inexpensive clippers, or will they be fine since I am only grooming one dog? This is the kind of thing I don't like buying online, because I like to touch and feel it first, but if I have to, then I have to.

Comments (7)