SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brcooks

Sprinkler booster pump connection to PVC (long question)

brcooks
15 years ago

We've lived in our house for almost two years. It is quite high above street level plus low pressure from city supply, so the previous owners had pressure pumps installed. Both for main house water supply (pressure tank) and the sprinkler system. The pump for the sprinklers had been leaking at the outlet to the sprinkler line. It eventually disconnected itself from the PVC fitting. Pump is not bolted down, so jiggles around a little. The threads on the pump (cast iron?) are either damaged or not compatible with the PVC connection. Last year, our sprinkler guy tried his best to tighten the connection but no luck. Last week it completely popped out. Sprinkler guy since moved to another city.

So, do we have to replace the entire pump? When we try to screw in a new PVC connector (1 1/4" I think), it won't go in straight or far enough to hold. Do I need to use a different kind of connector? Plumbing service places don't want to deal with this. We found a GC who will do the work if we buy the pump. What are my choices?

DH thinks we can try gluing the PVC directly to the pump. I don't think that will work.

Thanks!

Comments (8)