SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weedyacres

The answer to the 'How long does it take' question

weedyacres
14 years ago

There were a couple threads a month or two ago asking how long a bathroom remodel takes. My opinion was quite a bit shorter than others, so now I'm putting my money where my mouth is and posting a real-life example. We'll see if I can live up to my own expectations. :-p

The setting: Mr. Weedy and I are giving my sister 3 days of free labor for Christmas. She wanted a bathroom in her basement. We did quite a bit of planning in advance and she purchased all the materials, which were delivered yesterday. We arrived last night and went to work this morning. My brother heard about the fun and decided to fly out to help as well.

Here's what we started with:

The drains for tub, toilet, and sink were already roughed in (the pipes you see sticking out of the concrete). Mr. Weedy played plumber all day and worked on the grinder pump, which is a bucket in the floor that the bathroom drains into (the black plastic manhole cover near the cabinet). He installed the pump, connected the bucket to a vent (rough in already nearby) and to the main drain. It took him all day and evening and 4 trips to Lowe's. Here's his handiwork.

My brother and I cleaned the floor, pulled the foil-faced insulation off the walls (it was falling apart) and added a subfloor: landscape fabric, then Delta FL, then 3/4" OSB. It took until lunch to do 2 4-foot widths of floor along the 40-foot length of the basement.

In the afternoon we stapled up a vapor barrier, framed out next to the wall, and then framed in the rest of the walls, including a tub alcove and a door. We were done by dinner. (The vanity and tub are just set in, not all the way installed).

At 5:00 2 electricians showed up (local code requires master electricians to do all electrical work) and in an hour and a half installed a box for the fan and vented it outside, and wired for 1 light fixture, 3 outlets, and a switch.

In the interest of full disclosure, we did have good help from the small hands of a couple of my sister's kids. They pitched in to scrub the floor, fetched tools for us, fought over who got to run the shop vac as we made our mess, and made forts out of the lumber off-cuts outside. :-)

Comments (12)