SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
updating_gw

Poodle puppy jumping and nipping at toddler

updating
9 years ago

I have a standard poodle puppy who is about 16-18 weeks old (I have to check the paperwork). We've had her since she was 8 weeks. She is generally a sweet mellow dog, and she is excellent with me and my husband. She is ok with my 5 year old, though she will chase and nip at her. With my two year old, she nips near his face and jumps and has knocked him down. She doesn't actually bite, and I have been explaining this as puppy behavior that she will outgrow.

Physically, she is growing fast. She was 11 pounds when we got her, and she is now 26 pounds. About 3 weeks after we got her, I was concerned about the nipping problem, but my husband thought I was overreacting. Last night, he was out with the kids and dog and was really upset by her jumping on my toddler. We're also expecting another baby so will have another small person to watch out for. We're thinking about rehoming her, but it's really hard for me because now I'm really attached to her. My kids aren't very attached. They want to play with her but are afraid she'll bite. My 5 year old said she'd rather have a fish or a turtle.
I rather feel that we should find her a new home, but will she adjust all right at this point? She seems so attached to me and my husband that it is hard for me to part with her. Any suggestions to curb this behavior? She is very smart, was housebroken early, knows sit, come, stay, shake, though she almost never does these commands when at all excited, if anything else is going on, or if the kids are in the area.

I had planned to send her to obedience school, but my husband doesn't want to invest any more in the dog. I'm on watch for preterm labor and no longer working, and we have had a couple huge financial issues that have suddenly tightened the belt with extra medical bills and an emergency replacement of our septic system.

Comments (28)