SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenut213

introducing a shy cat to a new dog

gardenut213
17 years ago

Hello all. I haven't posted here before, but have been reading all the posts from the pet lovers here. We have a 6-year old neutered male cat, Panda, who's very shy with anyone other than his immediate family. We just recently, (3 weeks ago) adopted a 1-year female dog (named Belle) from a no-kill shelter. Belle is very friendly towards other dogs and all humans. She was cat tested at the shelter, by the staff and again in my presence before we finalized her adoption. She showed no interest in them, beyond a few sniffs.

Panda is at the current time residing in our family room, which is located in the basement of our home. There is a cat door which he can access the upstairs floors if he so chooses. His litter box, food and water and all his cushy beds and toys are downstairs as well. We all spend time down there daily, (computer is down there as well) and he seems happy and content. However, we are anxious to have him rejoin us on the upper floors! I have taken Belle downstairs into the family room (on a leash) and let her sniff around. The last few times, the cat has not dashed away and hid, but rather stayed up on the chair for a few seconds. As soon as Belle progressed closer, however, Panda ran off and hid.

I know not to rush this, but am beginning to fear that Panda will never feel comfortable upstairs with Belle. The dog is still crated while I am at work, and sleeps in our bedroom at night, so Panda could conceivably come upstairs during those times.

I should mention that Belle will be starting dog school next week, and was raised by an elderly owner who really was unable to teach her any commands. We have just started mastering the art of walking nicely on a leash, and eating dog food for the first time.

I guess my question is, are we on the right track with the introductions? Belle keeps sticking her face into the cat door and whining, especially if one of us is downstairs with the cat. I don't want her to become jealous of Panda. We make sure we are projecting a calm, friendly demeanor when we take Belle downstairs and praise her when she remains calm and not pulling on the leash to get to Panda.

Does anyone here have any other ideas? Thanks in advance, and my apologies for the LONG post!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert